Author Topic: What did the Pope ever do for you ?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline SuzzPuss

Re: What did the Pope ever do for you ?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 16:06:21 PM »
Never took to the guy, he was a Nazi.

This was the person I was answering Scunner.  I thought you meant Hitler Youth with your answer.  ;-)

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 16:18:25 PM »
Just going on what I learnt at school in history UBT.  Didn't he become part of some sort of alternative Christian organisation that separated all the Hebrew elements from the rest of Christianity?  I also remember learning that Catholics had to move around every so often to avoid persecution.  Admittedly not on the scale of the Jewish holocaust but probably quite scary if it were you it was happening to.

I've just been chatting to my step daughter who is just about to take her GCSE History and it seems that WW2 history is taught very differently these days.  Maybe I'll just have to relearn it all.   ???

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 16:26:27 PM »
He chose not to take the opportunity that was presented to him to correctly deal with the appalling string of child molestation cases within the church. They just appeared to close rank and do very little. This leads me to believe these acts of depravity continue and the leadership prefer to turn a blind eye or sweep it under the carpet.

Yes, that’s some of what I was getting at in my post when I said I was no fan.  I believe he made lots of dodgy decisions and pronouncements that showed he was completely out of touch.  Dangerous from a man with so much influence.

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 16:28:16 PM »

Whilst in a lot of ways religion helped shape civilisation to be what it is today, in particular with the way it taught right and wrong and virtues, It has also been by far the cause of more war, hatred and death than any other. For this reason I can see less and less room for it in today's modern thinking society. Science has just about proven wrong all religious theory concerning the origin of man (or woman) and the world so I wonder if it will dissipate over time.

There has been a conflict between science and religion for about as long as people have been interested in science.  It’s not quite true to say that science has proven religion wrong (not quite what you said I admit) though.  Quantum physicists have a dilemma about that.  Because of the way protons behave when they aren’t being watched quantum physicists believe there must have been something witnessing the big bang.  That makes some of them believe in some sort of God while others of them have decided that we must live in an infinite multi-universe.  There are also countless eminent scientists who have believed in God from Copernicus to Newton and Einsten.  Darwin was an Anglican but managed to reconcile that with his belief in evolution.  I’m told there are living examples too but not being totally up on my modern scientists I can’t remember who they are.  Sorry.

Humans’ writings and interpretations about God and creation, eg the Bible, are almost certainly largely wrong.  That doesn’t mean that he/she/it doesn’t/didn’t ‘exist’.  That’s a matter of faith (without proof), and that’s where science becomes irrelevant.

Having said all of that, yes, I expect it will dissipate over time.  Already happening in the UK I think.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 18:37:27 PM »
Suzz-Puss, that is a great answer. This is something I could go on about forever but I don't wish to hijack Highlanders topic any more that I already have :-[

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 18:39:11 PM »
Apparently the Pope resigned because he couldn't keep it up any more.......
Well that's what the Alter boys are saying anyway. ;D

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 18:46:36 PM »
Suzz-Puss, that is a great answer. This is something I could go on about forever but I don't wish to hijack Highlanders topic any more that I already have :-[

I know what you mean.  I did theology A'level all those years ago.  Nothing like studying theology to make you question what you believe!  ;-)

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 18:48:52 PM »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 18:57:59 PM »

No problem with you widening the discusion Piscoe ;D

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 20:42:04 PM »
He chose not to take the opportunity that was presented to him to correctly deal with the appalling string of child molestation cases within the church. They just appeared to close rank and do very little. This leads me to believe these acts of depravity continue and the leadership prefer to turn a blind eye or sweep it under the carpet.

Whilst in a lot of ways religion helped shape civilisation to be what it is today, in particular with the way it taught right and wrong and virtues, It has also been by far the cause of more war, hatred and death than any other. For this reason I can see less and less room for it in today's modern thinking society. Science has just about proven wrong all religious theory concerning the origin of man (or woman) and the world so I wonder if it will dissipate over time.

Controversial I know and please accept my apologies if anyone is offended but I am entitled to my belief as are you.
where is the like button?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf