Author Topic: Well done London!  (Read 6248 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Well done London!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
silkmrs,

I hope everything went just as well. It's never nice having to say goodbye to a loved one - no matter what he or she did with their life.

Just a point on the mining though - did you know that 75% of British coal mines were closed between 1900 and 1978?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
Due to protestors in London the world was not left with the impression that Britain was united in grief. For example, this is what CBC had to say:
Yet some clearly disagreed with the bishop's exhortation not to protest. Some people staged silent protests by turning their backs upon Thatcher's coffin. One man held a banner declaring "Rest in shame." Arguments also broke out in the crowd along the route between Thatcher supporters and opponents.
So, thanks to the London protestors. Well done.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
A very small minority though Colwyn. Didn't even register on many reports at all.

Not one arrest tells the story that the protesters did so without using violence which was one of the main worries I think.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
I don't suppose there were many Thatcher supporters at the Goldthorpe celebrations. The point was not so much about the numbers but about underlining the message. The New York Times summary of their article said (I quote it in full):
The ceremonial funeral with military honors for Margaret Thatcher has divided British opinion, much as the former prime minister stirred passions in her lifetime.

Offline angela

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
I agree Stoop, whoever the deceased is there will always be grief from someone, even if it's only grief at the waste of a life, or the life that person should have lived, in those who have gone down a wrong path.
  I'm not much bothered by Mrs Thatcher, but I do remember the lights going off every night in my house in the early 70's when I was a young teenager, when I believe Heath was in power, but I don't recall this furore when he died.  I do have concerns about the messages this sends out to youngsters, for whom basic respect for others seems in very short supply.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »
Of course Stoop my great grandfather was Alexander Bell, the first person to ever get a pit pension, they bought it to the house to him. He lived until 6 weeks off his 102nd birthday bless him.  Keir hardy attended meetings at his home. Been spoonfed the mines,the union and the Labour party from as long asI could remember.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Angela I agree with the messages sent to the youngsters of today regarding respect especially for those who have just passed away regardless of who they are.

Slikmrs I am sure that most people would have wished that you Mam was shown the respect that she deserved. I hope that your day went as well as it could considering the occasion.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
I remember that too Angela. We had the three day working week in the early 70's as well. We had to show customers around our supermarket using torches and hand operated checkouts (they had a handle that could be attached to make them work - one person operated the checkout and another turned the handle).

Also I remember vividly the Winter of Discontent in 1978/9. We had customers fighting over basic items such as toilet rolls due to the drivers strike.

Oh happy days  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
I don't suppose there were many Thatcher supporters at the Goldthorpe celebrations. The point was not so much about the numbers but about underlining the message. The New York Times summary of their article said (I quote it in full):
The ceremonial funeral with military honors for Margaret Thatcher has divided British opinion, much as the former prime minister stirred passions in her lifetime.

Thing is Colwyn - it was a labour government that organised the funeral many years ago. I'm not sure but I think it was agreed cross party just like they do with all the funerals for ex- Prime Ministers. The country picks up the bill for all of them as far as I know.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 13:26:11 PM »
Thing is Stoop -Her convicted criminal son Mark,who spent her declining years living in a different country is reported to have at least £70 million stashed away in offshore accounts.The bill should drop through his letter flap not ours.She divided the United Kingdom, That's some achievement. !!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf