Author Topic: Well done London!  (Read 6246 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Well done London!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 13:43:06 PM »
Why should her funeral not be paid for by the country? Every other Prime Minister is buried at the cost of the state. I didn't particularly like Harold Wilson but never questioned who paid for the Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey.

I also understand her family are paying some of the costs anyway.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 13:50:35 PM »
Apparently,  the Thatcher family put 2 million into the funeral of their own money.  However, whether you liked her or not, she had been out of power a long time and was an elderly lady whoses family where there to mourn her and carry out her wishes for the funeral. 
I have to say I am proud to be British when I saw the wonderful show we put on with the funeral. No one does this like the British.  I heard this morning that lots of foreigners are now coming to Britian for a holiday after watching the funeral, and being so impressed with Britain.
I would also say lets protest about the money it's costing us to keep Arab Terrorists in this country, or the Aid we send to Pakistan and India (India a country with it's own space programme).
I also remember the 3 day week and the power cuts, having to sit with candles in the evening when the power was put off... What misery that was   >:(and something that has never happened again.   ;)

Offline scorcher

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 14:08:16 PM »
Well Colwyn, I was on my camera position for Sky from 0500 to 1300 just outside St. Pauls and looked everywhere for you to no avail. Be fascinated to know the concensus of opinion amongst your fellow imbibers at your local. Whatever people feel about the whole event however controversial, I felt it was a triumph of organisation and overwhelmingly polite and respectful. I have absolutely no idea of my tax contribution on this but most people there seemed unconcerned about this.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 14:16:13 PM »
Apparently,  the Thatcher family put 2 million into the funeral of their own money.  However, whether you liked her or not, she had been out of power a long time and was an elderly lady whoses family where there to mourn her and carry out her wishes for the funeral. 
In which case Jacqui they should have kept it as a private family affair which did not involve the public or the public purse.
I have to say I am proud to be British when I saw the wonderful show we put on with the funeral. No one does this like the British.  I heard this morning that lots of foreigners are now coming to Britian for a holiday after watching the funeral, and being so impressed with Britain.
Yes once the proud for being the workshop of the world, now we are proud of being able to put on a good 'show' of a funeral, somethings gone wrong somewhere??
I would also say lets protest about the money it's costing us to keep Arab Terrorists in this country, or the Aid we send to Pakistan and India (India a country with it's own space programme). Wouldn't disgaree there, particualrly as both India and Pakisatn think it is more important to have a nuclear deterent than feed and educate their own people!!
I also remember the 3 day week and the power cuts, having to sit with candles in the evening when the power was put off... What misery that was   >:(and something that has never happened again.     ;)  Oh yes I can remember the misery of it all, we couldn't go to the local discos and mum couldn't watch coronation street ... some misery that!!!  You see I remember that it was a rolling black out designed to ensure that people could still work, so the bulk of the cuts was in the early evening.
[/color]

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 14:26:27 PM »
Stoop & Scorcher

A recent post from each of you is directed at me and goes on the comment about the tax spend on the funeral. I might, or might not, be aerated by this but (as far as I remember) I've not mentioned it in any of my posts. Perhaps you are confusing me with other critics on this topic? You know, in a generalized "Ah he's one of those!" stereotype.

As far the view from the Masons - I didn't go there yesterday as Hilary and I were on our weekly granddaughter sitting duties. However, I think I can predict, with a reasonable degree of confidence, that the reaction would have been ... divided. Thatcher & consensus? Surely you didn't expect so Scorcher? I was there this lunchtime though. If you want to know what impact the funeral, and your undoubtedly top notch camera work, made on the consciousness of the locals you can look at the poem quoted by Kevin Sowten in the main Calis Beach section - the bit about the hole that is left when you pull your hand out water.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 14:28:57 PM »
Why should her funeral not be paid for by the country? Every other Prime Minister is buried at the cost of the state. I didn't particularly like Harold Wilson but never questioned who paid for the Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey.
I think there is a difference between paying for a full blown state funeral and a memorial service.  As to your earlier point, the funeral arrangements for Thatch was agreed and it wasn't a state one - even she didn't want it - but Cameron had the whole affair captured and overblown for his own political purposes, not sure it has had the desired effect he wanted on the opinion polls though!

I also understand her family are paying some of the costs anyway.

Offline Lotty

Well done London!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 14:34:36 PM »
I agree with Stoop, she was our PM and as such should have the same funeral as others before her. This is becoming very bitter and personal. She was an old lady who deserved a good send off like anyone else's mum or granny regardless of anything that happened throughout her life. In power she did what had to be done and if it hadn't have been her, it would have been someone else. She wasn't alone, she had a government behind her, most (some secretly) who openly admired her for her balls.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 14:38:42 PM »
Not to mention the small matter of having been democratically elected by the British people not once by three times.

PS I have already answered the minority vote issue.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 14:39:32 PM »
Scorcher having worked in London for many years it was always my experience when events like this occurred - not those that had a bank holiday - that there was those who came just fr the event - the consensus amongst them was always clear - but for the overwhelming majority in London, living and working, the consensus was clear .......... the whole thing was designed to muck up your day.  So the best thing to do was get in early and hope that the event went quickly and without disruption.  Now which of these consensuses did you observe stuck in your camera gantry, or are you just being partial in your observations?

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 14:43:15 PM »
Not to mention the small matter of having been democratically elected by the British people not once by three times.

Not to forget that dear old Harold Wilson was elected democratically four times, and he didn't have all this fuss.
PS I have already answered the minority vote issue.
Yes H you have responded on the minority vote issue, not sure whether you have answered the point though!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf