Author Topic: Well done London!  (Read 6247 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Well done London!
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 00:33:15 AM »
"Thatcher,the champion of commerce and enterprise"  Bullsh#t.  Anyone remember Freddie Laker and Skytrain.? The working mans champion,In 1978 he got me from Gatwick to New York and back for £57 and was at Gatwick loading the luggage. Too cheap said his competitors so they lobbied Thatcher, she lobbied Reagan and he forced the US banks to forclose on his loans and shut him down.They tried the same with Branson but Laker helped him see them off. If Laker had succeeded I do n't think we would be paying cartel prices to get to Turkey. A total bunch of Spivs.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
Nothing to do with the DC 10 at all then ?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
"Thatcher,the champion of commerce and enterprise"  Bullsh#t.  Anyone remember Freddie Laker and Skytrain.? The working mans champion,In 1978 he got me from Gatwick to New York and back for £57 and was at Gatwick loading the luggage. Too cheap said his competitors so they lobbied Thatcher, she lobbied Reagan and he forced the US banks to forclose on his loans and shut him down.They tried the same with Branson but Laker helped him see them off. If Laker had succeeded I do n't think we would be paying cartel prices to get to Turkey. A total bunch of Spivs.

Time to read some history mate - Laker tried to start up Skytrain in 1971.  (wiki)However, under intense pressure from the established airlines, including Laker's archrival and next-door Gatwick neighbour BCal, against a backdrop of huge losses and overcapacity on the North Atlantic in the aftermath of the global energy crisis caused by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries' oil embargo, the UK's Labour government of that era decided to revoke Laker's licence on 29 July 1975.

Read more - it was more to do with the DC10 being grounded for safety reasons, rivals getting together (probably illegally) to undercut him and the fact the company was £250m in debt, that caused him to go bust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Laker

Offline apollo

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
Specifically,what did Mrs. Thatcher do, to "destroy" British industry?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf