Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2981 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Dilemma
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
Our local Tesco are collecting food donations for the food bank. My dilemma is this

Should I buy the 'everyday value' tinned food and be able to buy twice as much, or do I buy the 'branded'  goods, and buy less?. Any advice appreciated.

Offline marina

Re: Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
I bought a couple of tins of soup at ours on Friday, Tesco own brand but not the value ones.  Cheaper than the branded ones but no reason why they shouldn't be decent soups.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
If I was hungry I would rather have a large tin of value beans than a small tin of Heinz/HP

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
So you buy food, Tesco earn their usual profit from each item, then you give it back to them to make a donation in their name? No thanks.

Offline mary62

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
So you buy food, Tesco earn their usual profit from each item, then you give it back to them to make a donation in their name? No thanks.

Our Tesco is topping up donations by 30%.....better than nothing.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Yes, they make more than 30% profit on the things you are buying from them and giving straight back - so they profit from every "charitable donation".

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
Just remember that Tesco are a business NOT a charity. Everything they do, they do for THEIR benefit and that of their shareholders.

Offline mary62

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
I see your point Scunner, but for me the thought that any food donated will go to those people who are in desperate need, whether Tesco take the credit or not is irrelevant.

There, but by the grace of God go all of us fortunate enough to NOT need to go to the food bank.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
Hilary is, as I write this, in the foyer area of our local Tesco collecting food contributions. These will be stored by the charity that organizes the collection and it is the charity that hands out the food parcels to people referred to them once Hilary and her colleagues have packaged them up during the week. I don't see how Tesco claims credit for donating the food in this scheme, although it does, presumably, for its 30%. Hilary's only reservation about the scheme is that it is a Christian charity so it is Christians who get the kudos and there is a lot of God talk going on between the rest of the volunteers.

Now I'm back to rubbing Turkish mixed spices into the chicken ready for Sunday lunch when she returns.

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 13:19:05 PM »
I see your point Scunner, but for me the thought that any food donated will go to those people who are in desperate need, whether Tesco take the credit or not is irrelevant.

There, but by the grace of God go all of us fortunate enough to NOT need to go to the food bank.

I agree Mary,  and the few pence profit they will have made on my two tins of soup doesn't really matter.  To be able to donate a bit, quite easily, to people who genuinely need it is what counts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf