Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2979 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 15:12:55 PM »
A few months ago there was a report on television about a food bank in the Midlands
and a couple of volunteers were interviewed, then three recipients of food from the
bank. The last one, a middle aged guy said words to the effect that the food bank was
a lifeline to people like him. Then as the presenter was finishing the report you saw
this guy in the background load his carrier bag full of food into the boot of his new
looking family saloon car and drive off.
I come into contact with people that would LOVE to be as poor as him.Not a good
way of promoting food banks.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 15:19:25 PM »
Tesco in our area donate all year round to the food bank. They also donate to the one in Huddersfield and maybe more areas I don't know. These are from their own stores and not donations from customers.. M and S do the same.. M and S don't publicise this like Tesco but to be fair to Tesco they only ask for public donations at Xmas when the need is greatest . There is also a soup kitchen in Blackpool which Tesco and M and S donate to at Xmas...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 15:27:47 PM »
Just a thought but I will eat a tin of cold beans if any supermarket makes 30% profit on them.

I don't think it's a bad thing they are doing and like all big companies they will milk the good publicity.

Better than Asda giving those massive Black Friday savings to greedy scumbags who scrap with each other and will probably go and sell them on eBay for a fast buck.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
Nearly a fortnight ago I posted saying Hilary was collecting food at Tesco. People have been magnificent in supporting this. Here is the email she received this morning. Well done all.

Hi

Thanks so much for helping – we got so much food it has taken until last night to weigh it all

Over the weekend we collected nearly 3oo crates of food – never seen that before –  Friday was our highest for a Friday, Saturday was incredible with 143 Crates and Sunday kept flowing J

Total weight 2.53 tonnes – 100 families would be fed with that – approximately 3500 meals – which is mind blowing

We are giving out food this month to 40 voucher holders a week too so great timing.

[...]

Oh and we exchanged 6 crates of dented food with undented tins on Sunday afternoon

We will be getting store credit of just under £1300 also in the new year as a 30% top up from Tesco

Offline marina

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 17:22:32 PM »
That's excellent Colwyn.  So easy to donate and makes such a huge difference to the people who need it.   :)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 00:52:19 AM »
That's excellent Colwyn.  So easy to donate and makes such a huge difference to the people who need it.    :)

Could not agree more with you Marina. Buying an extra tin or two really can make a difference to somebodies life. This may be an item for the debating chamber, but did any CBF'ers ever think that the U.K. could actually allow it's citizens to have to rely on food donations? (Not just the unemployed or disabled, but also the working families struggling to make ends meet). Shame on the politicians for their policies.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
A few weeks ago I signed a Parliamentary petition calling on the House of Commons to debate UK hunger and the growth of foodbanks. The petition achieved 142,000 signatures, easily clearing the 100,000 threshold required, and the debate will now be scheduled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:56:10 PM by Colwyn »

Offline marina

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 16:32:23 PM »
I signed that too Colwyn. Pleased they reached the target, and more, so quickly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf