Author Topic: What Frightens You?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
What Frightens You?
« on: December 11, 2013, 18:49:07 PM »
I'm not a very courageous person but I've got through life without too much fear. I've been involved in a couple of traffic events where the most likely outcome was death but, as you notice, I'm still here. After a near-death escape you are supposed to feel every day is an "extra" - but it doesn't work like that. You still live with some regard to risk. Hilary says she doesn't know why I haven't been beaten to pulp for saying things without concerning myself with the consequences - like telling teenagers on the upper deck of buses to cut out the swearing, or rearing up at people in pubs for spouting racism - but whatever beatings I have taken have been quite ordinary. I've been through heart surgery and five eye operations and, although the prospect of becoming blind worries me deeply, I have come to terms with these things.

What frightens me is Alzheimer's Disease. I saw both my mother and my mother-in-law go through it. They were happy enough, they didn't know what was going on, but for the families it was hell. I listened to Terry Pratchett talking about it today. You know when it is starting. You know each day you will get worse. The best you can hope for is that the process might be slow or slowed. So I was very pleased today to hear that there is to be an international research programme into the disease which is becoming increasingly common. Not in time for me. of course, but perhaps future generations will be less frightened about it than I am.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 19:10:42 PM by Colwyn »

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: What Frightens You?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 19:11:31 PM »
I saw the test they are going to bring to uk recently on the news,where they can identify the disease with a brain scan. Or to see if you would get it.
I agree with you, It,s a very cruel disease and so sad for the families of sufferers.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
I think I would share that fear, Colwyn.

I have only last week, witnessed my Mum being desperately hurt by the disease that afflicts her 93 year old Uncle, for whom she has been caring seven days a week for the last three years.

He became very aggressive and ordered her to leave his house immediately and to never return. When my Mother asked why, he picked up the phone and threatened to call the police to have her removed.

Unlike many other events, mundane or otherwise, my Great Uncle has remembered this and maintains that he does not want my Mother to care for him anymore. He has carers that visit for 20 mins, three times a day and he believes my Mother's ministrations interfered with their duties.

My Mum has dedicated so much of herself to his and her deceased Aunt's care over these last years. She is so very sad it has ended in this abrupt and hostile way.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
Terrible disease ,caught a bit about it on Jeremy vine going into work yesterday .people telling various tales of how t avoid it.the govt advice is as ever,eat less processed food,cut down on alcohol, cigarettes,lose weight to keep blood pressure down,take regular exercise etc which is the usual mantra.many stories about relatives who did all of that and still got it despite there being no family history.another govt study has said you were fat in your mid 40s you are at risk even if you lost the weight!an interesting viewpoint was that this is what nature intended,in the old days we only lived into our 40s so it did not manifest itself.with the advances in nutrition, medicine etc we are living longer and the brain is worn out so to speak,sounds a reasonable theory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf