Author Topic: What are the results of being smacked.  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
What are the results of being smacked.
« on: January 19, 2014, 18:49:46 PM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: What are the results of being smacked.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 18:51:57 PM »
Wasn't Hitler smacked as a child?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 18:53:49 PM »
Not hard enough

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 19:40:28 PM »
If it is acceptable to hit a child then it should follow that is acceptable to smack someone of equal standing and size as in say another adult.

Try that as a way of teaching them respect for others; something to while away the time while you're sitting in a cell    :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 20:28:13 PM »
A smack never did me or any of my eight, yes, eight siblings any psychological damage whatsoever. If more children were faced with some type of proper familial discipline, perhaps we would have less vulnerable people being mugged, in public, on our once safe streets. For every action, there is a consequence, but, due to "political correctness", today's youth are totally ignorant, and blasé about this. The old adage ; "spare the rod , spoil the child", is more evident nowadays .

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 20:58:39 PM »
Have you undertaken any sort of physical or psychological assessment to determine whether or not your smacks did you any harm or not or is that just a self assessment based on your own personal opinion.

People smack/hit/lash out when they are frustrated and lack the ability or skills to discipline in a non violent way. When people smack/hit/lash out it is usually a sign that they are feeling out of control.

Some people legislate in these situations other just beat up kids behind closed doors or do it in public to prove what good parents they are.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 22:15:48 PM »
Sometimes it really is necessary. Eg when my child ran out on to the road in busy traffic. It's a fine line but I needed to show my child it was wrong. How do we train dogs? I would rather a quick slap than a dead child. I also was smacked (not beaten) occasionally as a child but nothing that I didn't know I deserved. No harm done - I love my (now deceased) dear loving parents who through their wisdom made me one too.   ;)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 22:20:57 PM »
i was hit with a leather belt until i got too old never done me any harm ,but i never hit my children or grandchildren with one
they got the odd slap very rarely
it was better to take their toys away and sent to bed early

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 22:27:53 PM »
Sometimes it really is necessary. Eg when my child ran out on to the road in busy traffic. It's a fine line but I needed to show my child it was wrong. How do we train dogs? I would rather a quick slap than a dead child. I also was smacked (not beaten) occasionally as a child but nothing that I didn't know I deserved. No harm done - I love my (now deceased) dear loving parents who through their wisdom made me one too.    ;)

No more to be said for me. Agree 100 %

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 22:44:19 PM »
I agree, to, I was smacked, not beaten by my Mum and I loved her to bits she was my best friend when I grew up and we got on so well.  I miss her every day.  I think I grew up well and I am not damaged and I am not a violent person.
I gave my kids a smack on the bum if they did anything badly wrong, they are now grown and well adjusted adults who I am very proud of.
I also think that us parents who have experienced having children know the score.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf