Author Topic: What are the results of being smacked.  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: What are the results of being smacked.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 22:51:17 PM »
I agree too - you want to try having twins if you truly believe there is no need to smack kids. Not beat them or harm them, just a significant smack to let them know that what they are doing won't be tolerated. In this way, as they get older the situations requiring such discipline should diminish - till you get to where we are today, no need for it at all. I'm lucky, I can scare them to death with my voice nowadays  ;)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
Have you undertaken any sort of physical or psychological assessment to determine whether or not your smacks did you any harm or not or is that just a self assessment based on your own personal opinion.

People smack/hit/lash out when they are frustrated and lack the ability or skills to discipline in a non violent way. When people smack/hit/lash out it is usually a sign that they are feeling out of control.

Some people legislate in these situations other just beat up kids behind closed doors or do it in public to prove what good parents they are.

I openly admit to feeling out of control at times when I had a 2-3 year old behaving very badly and that's because you can't reason with them. Reasoning is a two way thing and they are toddlers, they don't always acknowledge or understand any legislation.   I never hit or lashed out but I did smack maybe two or three times in their lives and there is a difference. 
I am genuinely interested to know how you would discipline a child who is having a tantrum or persistently putting themselves in danger (running in the road, going near the fire, reaching up to the cooker etc) or hurting others. 
My granddaughter went through a phase of biting - it was awful!  She got over excited or was squeezing you tight for a cuddle and next minute…ouch!  This went on for a couple of months and all sorts of things were tried - naughty step, no toys, strong telling off so I suppose we were 'out of control'.   

She stopped when her Mum smacked her bottom. 

There are people who beat their kids up behind closed doors and that horrendous behaviour sounds like what you are describing not a smack delivered with love and care.
I would rather see a really badly behaved child receive a quick smack than put up with screaming and tantrums over a length of time in a shop, restaurant or wherever. 

I was on the receiving end of the occasional smack from my Mum and boy did I deserve the one I remember most.  It was for being really cheeky to her and "answering back'   It never stopped me loving her and feeling loved and protected.  That taught me to respect my elders and regardless of what I was thinking, I was never rude or cheeky again…….until I became a morose teenager but at that point I could indeed be reasoned with as the groundwork had been done.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »
A very honest and sensible post Bluwise .

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
My dad had a leather barbers strop that I felt on my bare bum once. My sin - skating on the frozen canal which was strictly against orders. Therefore fully deserved. I never had one and only slapped my son once. Nearly always, I could chastise my kids with a frosty glare.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
Wives show more respect to their husbands when regularly beaten. See Turkey.

Offline marina

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
Without quoting all of Bluwise' post I agree with everything there. I admit to smacking my daughters occasionally when they were little.  That's smacking, not beating, and they knew then they'd done wrong. I now have two lovely, loving, well-adjusted daughters who show respect for others and know how much we love them too.  I was only talking to my eldest daughter the other day about people who beat babies and young children so their arms and ribs are broken in several places, or have cigarette burns on their body.  I cannot, for the life of me, understand how people can do that to tiny, innocent children and what I would do to them is unprintable!

But an occasional smack on an unruly toddler is not the same thing.  I now have an adorable 2 year old grandson and would probably kill anyone who harmed a hair on his head!  But at 2 he needs discipline too and it's down to individuals to decide what way is best for them and their children.

Offline angela

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
I agree entirely with Bluwise and Marina, yes my girls both got smacked as little ones, and generally when I was at the end of my tether, but would I smack the back of an adults hand or across the back of the leg?,  no more than I would give someone a black eye.  Too ridiculous for words.  I think perspective is the key.
BUT.... it breaks my heart to pieces if my grandchildren get a slap, I just can't bear it.  Double standards I know. My heart has got softer with age.  :-\

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »
are people seriously arguing that striking a minor is ok?

My dad taught me that he dosent hit me so that means that no one else can, i have great respect or that man

Offline jondo

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »
Yes, I smacked my kids when I thought it necessary and they have all grown up to be caring and considerate adults and descend on us regularly to harvest our larder and share stories and jokes. On the other hand, I know a family that didn’t provide much of a structure for their kids, in which smacking is a key part, in my opinion, and are now struggling with multitudinous issues. Let’s understand the semantics here, smacking isn’t slapping, hitting, or striking.

In the pecking order of raising children I would suggest that admonishing a willful child with a smack to ensure they realise the dangers of running out into the road comes before you try to earn their respect, with the greatest of respect.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
ive got 3 great kids, they understood when we told them not to run into the road

each to there own, but for me its a big no.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf