Author Topic: What are the results of being smacked.  (Read 4352 times)

Offline marina

Re: What are the results of being smacked.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
Well said jondo, a quick smack on the back on a hand or leg doesn't to my mind constitute striking.   I have no regrets about the odd smack I gave my children when they were little, all children need some form of discipline however it's administered and I think we are now reaping the rewards of that now with the happy, close relationships we have with them.

But, as Scott and Lisa says, each to their own, I would never tell any parent that smacking is a must.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I suppose the answer is - look at the kids today and compare them with the ones from our generation (who tended to get smacked if they stepped out of line). The is a very big difference.

Ok there are some wonderful young people out there (my two included) but it would be interesting to know how many of them were disciplined with a smack when they were younger.

Having said that I feel there should be an age cut off as smacking a toddler in order to teach them right from wrong is fine IMO - but hitting a teenager shouldn't be necessary really.

I don't agree with the brutality that was sometimes handed out by sadistic teachers but I do think the odd smack for the right reasons is ok.

Anyway banning it has not stopped those brutal, nasty parents from harming their children. It never will because it often goes on behind closed doors.

I was smacked, my kids were smacked, my brothers were smacked and I think we are all fairly normal people who respect others.

The other thing is - once smacked the threat is quite often enough in the future.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
is the reason behind it that we smack children when they are young because they dont understand?

should we also smack old people when they start to not understand? or would that not be right?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Very noble Scott, but the proof of the pudding is in the person. You are welcome to meet my smacked children anytime to see how mentally scarred they aren't.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
im not saying they are, i just dont understand why people would do that to there children, i can only draw from my own experiences.
i had different rules, i wasnt allowed the Cain at school nor was my dads generation. but i can tell you when my dad called me i came, listened and did as i was told

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 14:13:44 PM »
I am sure no one sets out imagining they're going to slap their little children. Actually thinking about and planning what to do and how to approach disciplining a child before hand goes a long way to determining what you actually do in practice. The same way you might plan for any other eventuality or situation in life, assuming you do!

There are many ways to discipline a child without smacking them. The trouble is there is often an instinctive reaction to dish out a slap because maybe you're frustrated, embarrassed or even scared.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is actually talking with as opposed to at your children so they learn and understand the value of verbal communications is more powerful than shrieking and having a tantrum.

Let them scream and carry on as long as you don't give in they'll soon learn it isn't the way to get what they want. Put them in their room until they've calmed down; as puma says take away their toys, sit them on the quiet step etc. Or, show them using their toys what will happen to them if they for example run into the road or go too near the fire, or whatever it that's worried you!

Part of the main problem for children is inconsistent boundaries, eventually giving in to their demands some of the time and not others. They are children. They don't know any better. They learn from you and want and are looking to you for guidance on how to behave. If they learn that if they carry on and on and on that you will eventually give in then that is what they will do.

In fact children learn about two thirds of everything they will learn if life in their formative years so they aren't stupid at all and in fact can be quite manipulative.

Anyone who has seen the BBC little angels or even teen angels will have seen the dramatic improvements in children and teenagers behaviour in just a few weeks of applying consistent boundaries.

The trouble with violence against children, you may call it a little smack if you want, is what happens when it becomes more than that or its a bit harder than you intended. When a smack becomes a slap or a clump to the head because your child dodges the blow and falls over and is seriously hurt.

Everyone assumes that they are rationale and reasoning and probably they are most of the time. But anger is a nasty adrenaline fueled emotion and things can quickly get out of control.

BTW I have never ever seen a child screaming in the street shut up because of a slap; rather the reverse making it worse for everyone.

Finally, you'll be pleased to know, that sometimes there is something serious behind a child's bad behaviour. My niece became a cheeky little madam when she first started school. It was put down to her starting school and mixing up with the other children. Also there was a new addition to the family so the timing wasn't great. Anyway, the health visitor recommended sending her to her room which did seem to work.

However it transpired that my niece was being bullied at school and my sister in law only found out because she came across some cartoon drawings in my niece had done and hidden in her room - when she was there calming down!

In the work that I did before coming to Turkey a lot of the children and young people I worked with had come to the attention of Social Services (I wasn't a Social Worker) because of bad behaviour in school. They were all being sexually abused by "uncles" family members or friends of the family or teachers.

There are plenty of resources via Google search for parents who want to adopt a non violent approach to bringing up their children.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 14:33:36 PM »
Thanks Nichola,

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 15:00:42 PM »
I like what Nicola has written and agree with her for quite a way. BUT ...

I am of the opinion that bringing up children is difficult and, in my experience, the only people who give you clear instructions about how to do it properly are those who have never actually done it. Those of us that have may start off with all sorts of wishes about how we will do it. We didn't want to ever hit our children but I can't say that it never happened. I am not proud of it but sometimes it seems the only way. I am pleased it was only three or four times in their lives. We also didn't want our children to become addicted to sugar by feeding them chocolate and sweets. The grandmothers soon scuppered that plan. You can't determine theoretically (e.g. hit or not hit) how to do it; you just have to struggle through the best you can.

I wonder how much difference it makes. People can come on here and say "I was smacked, and so were my kids, and there's nothing wrong with any of us". And then other people can say "I wasn't smacked, and neither were my kids, and there's nothing wrong with any of us". So what does this prove? Hilary and I are carnivorous atheists. Our two daughters are now in theirs 30s: one is a vegetarian and the other is a deeply committed Christian. Where did we go wrong? They are both also very beautiful - and that obviously is down to Hilary and nothing to do with me.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 15:30:40 PM »
In Sweden when they banned hitting children they also simultaneously implemented a massive education programme nationwide on alternative strategies and coping mechanisms.

As a result parents overwhelmingly reported that their changed behaviour towards their children resulted in dramatically better behaviour from their children. And the children also gave positive feedback and said that their relationships with their parents had improved.

In the UK when Labour was elected parenting classes were set up for parents whose children had come to the attention of Social Services. These produced some good results too for both parents and children. I doubt these services exist any more thanks to this governments "austerity cuts".

Good parenting to the best of my knowledge isn't taught in schools but in my opinion it should be. After all anyone can have kids but some people you wouldn't trust with a hamster!

These coping strategies and mechanisms would of course be useful in many aspects of daily life.

Offline Christie

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 17:04:13 PM »
Personally I don't see any harm in a smack when children are growing up and learning right from wrong. It certainly has not done me any harm. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf