Author Topic: Weather in the UK  (Read 2888 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Weather in the UK
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
 A Little surprised there has not been many comments on here regarding the horrific weather conditions in the UK, floods etc, Somerset in one hell of a mess, the army on alert to help I believe. and there,s me  moaning we have had a week of rain, fell sorry for people having to go through this year after year. :(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Weather in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
People are being extraordinarily resilient. In one village they can only get out to go to work/school/shops/etc. by riding in a trailer pulled by a giant tractor. They refer to this as "Going to the mainland".

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
Yeah Des, Somerset looks pretty horrendous. No problems here in Greater Manchester. In fact as I type we have a clear blue sky and a mild frost is just on the thaw   :) However I think worse is on the way  :-[

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
Glorious, crisp sunny (but cold) day here at the m,nt  :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
Horrendous night last night, gale force winds, rain bucketing down, brighter this morning but very windy, more rain promised for later.  Everywhere round here the fields are flooded, and the moat across the road to me must have a couple of feet of water. The only thing to say about the weather is WETWETWET. :(

Offline sadler

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
A beautiful day here at the coast in rural Essex.  Last night was exciting, but we are always being buffeted being open to the North Sea.  The sea stayed where it should be, thanks to the much improved sea defences, we live far enough from rivers for them not to be a problem, mud is knee high, but haho, this is the countryside.  I am even thinking of getting the washing line out of hibernation, and brushing off the cobwebs.  The sun is out, God is in his heaven and it is a glorious day. ;D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 14:31:01 PM »
Rivers are high in North Yorkshire but no problems.....even saw some lambs in one of the nearby fields this morning. Feeling very fortunate - my heart goes out to those down south.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 17:57:08 PM »
Yeah Des, Somerset looks pretty horrendous. No problems here in Greater Manchester. In fact as I type we have a clear blue sky and a mild frost is just on the thaw    :) However I think worse is on the way  :-[

Yes Ken, we live in Atherton and had blue skies visible from our kitchen window this morning, only problem the view from our front window was "black skies". Its now heaving it down and blowing a gale. Wish we were in Turkey Ken  ;D ;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 19:48:27 PM »
Rained most of the day here in beautiful Perth, as it has for most days recently. We are grateful, 3 years ago we had snow in a cycle that meant there was snow on the ground for 3 months continuously - every time it looked like thawing, more came to top it up. No snow to speak of at all this winter.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 20:36:31 PM »
Although the weather here has been raining and windy, it has not been freezing cold, however, my Son In Law was suppose to go offshore a week ago (out to the Oil Rig) there are extremely high winds out in the North Sea.  He was put up for a night in an Hotel in Aberdeen to wait, then another night as the weather was too bad out in the North Sea for him to get on the choppy.  He came home and after a day went back to stay in an Hotel in Aberdeen waiting to get offshore.  He is now back home again.  On Monday they are going to take him out by boat, weather permitting.   The really important thing is, the guys out on the rig are dying to get back, some have been out  for a month.  The food started to run out this week and a rescue helicopter had to drop them food off.  This is an image of the helicopter dropping emergency rations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf