Author Topic: Weather in the UK  (Read 2887 times)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: Weather in the UK
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 20:48:04 PM »
Although, in light of the more serious disasters this may seem trivial, one of the reasons for my house move, was being stuck at the top of a very steep hill in the snow and ice for the last 20 years, some days we were unable to get our cars up the hill. So I moved to a place on the flat, and our first winter here there has not even been a frost, let alone any snow.  So Sods Law strikes again!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 20:55:36 PM »
It's been thrashing it down here again for most of the day after a heavy frost last night.

The Dee's about to burst it's banks again and it doesn't look as though there's going to be any racing at Bangor-On-Dee on Friday the 7th.

If anyone wonders why North Wales is so lush and green, it's mould caused by the constant damp.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »
After the government send 2 army captains for a photo shot then going home as there was nothing that could be done at this late stage (prevention is another issue) why didn't they send in the navy!

Seriously I noticed that sky news were showing surfers riding the bore (one of the highest in Europe) so looks like the press will go home now and leave the people affected to sort the mess.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
Trains to the South West are now stopping at Bristol. Our local river, the Frome, has been very effectively taking the water away, unlike the Parrot and the Tone. But it is chucking it down again and from my bedroom window I can see the river is nearly up to the top of banks and moving at great speed so I suspect it may flood later. Fortunately we are 25ft above the flood plain.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 16:11:26 PM »
Just been to the local pub for lunch, and had great difficulty walking along.  Never known such strong winds, and after a brief respite its now started to rain again!!.  Those poor people in Somerset must feel terrible, just checked the forecast and there is no sign of a let up in these dreadful conditions for the next few weeks, though snow is promised for Scotland!!  If its true we get what we deserve, we must have been very bad to get this weather!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 18:44:08 PM »
Lovely sunny day today.  It was 10 degrees I was in the local Garden Centre and it was packed. 

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 19:57:59 PM »
ok Jacqui don't rub it in  :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 21:08:23 PM »
I will try not to...Everyone assumes it's freezing in Scotland, but we, on the East Coast get dryer weather than the West Coast and touch wood, have had a mild winter, temperature wise this year.

Offline angela

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 16:36:28 PM »
Very strangely, and call me a cynic, but all those poor sods in Somerset have been largely left to get on with it, now the Thames is starting to go in the posh places, i.e Windsor etc, all hell breaks out!!

Offline marina

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 17:40:17 PM »
Cynic nor not angela I think you're spot on.  Always the case unfortunately  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf