Author Topic: Weather in the UK  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Weather in the UK
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 17:41:08 PM »
Angela we were saying the very same thing this morning.   No one cared until it got to the Thames and then the Army and Navy have arrived in force.   Just mention the Queen's land and Windsor Castle and all the stops come out.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 17:49:05 PM »
I agree with you Angela,now that the Thames is flooding it's an Emergency.!!

Reading today that the dredging works in Somerset would have cost £  1.7 million.
But instead the Environment Agency spent £ 2.4 million on improving it's image.
14 of it's executives earn over £ 100,000 a year, some part time.

I know where i'd start dredging.       >:(

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 21:34:48 PM »
Just a brief update on my local area, 3 months ago we has an area where we could walk our dogs, let them free for a run, today there are a number of seagulls plus 3 swans swimming on the field!! Makes me wonder where or when will it ever end, and at the moment  I am not one of the many people whose lives have been totally devastated by this freak weather.  The forecast is for yet more rain, no respite for any of us, but I have to say I feel deeply for the people whose lives have been so deeply affected.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
How stupid and inconsiderate can people be? I have just heard a guy who lives in one of the flood areas talking on the rsdio. He was complaining that his road was suffering from "flood tourists" - people out sight-seeing, driving 4x4 vehicles far too fast down flooded roads, creating huge bow waves that swamp over thresholds and into residents' houses making things worse than they were before. Bloody ridiculous.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 15:10:10 PM »
I've heard several reports of the same thing today. Villagers, in the absence of help
from the authorities, have set up road blocks in their communities to stop "flood tourists"
adding more chaos to their already chaotic lives and to deter looters.There were several
reports of people stealing sandbags.!  Some sick sods about.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 16:35:05 PM »
After the overnight storm, the sun has been out in somerset today! It's a catch 22 situation living a mile from a flood barricade built by the Environment Agency to protect 1000+ houses but stops the somerset levels from lowering their water levels. The long term policy of not clearing drains (not sewerage but water routes from low lying farmland to rivers) has caused water to accumulate on low lying areas. Anyway, the Dutch are here with their pipes and powerful pumps to sort it out!

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 16:37:23 PM »
Does that mean some good things come out of Denmark? They could do with some good publicity after the giraffe fiasco!!

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 16:44:23 PM »
The Dutch are from holland lol

Offline angela

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 17:54:29 PM »
 Didn't mean to laugh, no laughing matter really, but echo girl so funny!!  ;D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 19:47:03 PM »
I heard on the news tonight that Looters are now are problem in the flood areas.  I think the Government should say all looters should be shot..... I for one think it's a disgraceful and disgusting crime.  What could be more low than to steal from these poor unfortunate people who have had to move out of their homes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf