Author Topic: Bob Crow Dies  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Bob Crow Dies
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 18:20:02 PM »
he earnt about the same as the PM.
The difference being that he earned it whereas Cameron ...
Of this much vaunted "pay package" a large proportion was pension contributions. Unfortunately a pension which he will be not be able to enjoy in the retirement he would be have been much more entitled to than most.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 20:49:40 PM »
At least Bob Crowe's family can hold their heads up and take solace from the fact that he, compared to Thatcher, Cameron et al, achieved what they, collectively, never , ever did ..........got dirt under his finger-nails, by way of honest, physical labour.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 21:46:45 PM »
I also read that he came under quite lot of criticism  for living in the same council flat he had always live in despite him earning such high wages. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:36:38 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline dycedon

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 06:37:09 AM »
I met him at a branch meeting in Aberdeen, the guy had some kiind of aura about him,and boy could he speak, then again that was what he was paid for, he will be solely missed by his members and the trade union movement as a whole. RIP

Offline sting

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 15:58:30 PM »
Well done Bob for improving the working conditions of us poor LT workers .R.I.P

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 13:50:59 PM »
I wasn't going to post as I was taught not to speak ill of the dead, but as KKOB pointed out lived in a council house with a level of income that would have enabled him to buy is own and free up the property for a needy family, interesting to note that Ken Livingstone lived in a council flat for years when he was leader of Brent, not that I have anything against council tenant as I lived in a council house for 12 years, but these lefty's who earn enough to go into the private sector should do so freeing up these much needed properties. also of note a certain A Scargill tried to buy his council house at the time of Maggie, and another J Saville obe had a council flat in Leeds.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 14:22:28 PM »
C1 I haven't read such rubbish in years!!!
If he lived in a big house you would be complaining, now you're complaining cos he didn't!!! As for Jimmy Saville- wtf has that got to do with Bob Crow. Get a life

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 16:51:21 PM »
A mind reader then, I would not complain about bob crow living in a big house as he could afford it just to help you out. Are you disagreeing with the facts. Or don't they matter! To you. I don't disagree with his efforts or his success in representing his members, although the travelling public might think differently.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 17:05:02 PM »
I have to agree with C!.  Council Houses are for people who cannot afford to buy their own property and there are so many people on waiting lists who are living in very poor conditions.  So, if you can afford a property why not do the right thing and buy your own property?  I, would not have complained if Bob Crowe had a bought his own house and who said it had to be a mansion?   

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 17:25:45 PM »
I don't have a problem with people continuing to live in the house where they grew up or have lived for a long time. I did disagree with people in council houses who could afford to buy a house being sold their own council house on the cheap and taking thus taking that property permanently out of social provision. This might have been OK if the money gained from selling council houses was invested in building new ones - but under Thatcherism this was never going to be allowed. Of course the people who bought their council houses at a fraction of market value were absolutely delighted - quite understandably - but the social housing stock of this country was significantly eroded and no replacement council house building made up for it. Which produces today's situation where few 20 year olds have any realistic prospects of buying a house before they are in their 30s (if at all) and the Government's economic policies and the Bank of England's monetary policies are severely skewed by the importance of house prices and mortgage rates to the economy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf