Author Topic: UK Budget  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Hamlet

UK Budget
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »
Watching Sky News this morning I watched a 17 year old shop assistant being interviewed and part of what she said was " ....... the Government should do something to help young people get jobs and better wages, I want to get a house, I want the same as my mum & dad have got."

No mention of the fact that mum & dad have probably worked hard and struggled financially for 20+ years to get what they have.

During my experience in Estate Agency I saw this many times, particularly from the mid '80's onwards.
18 to 20 year olds still wanting an active social life, but looking at properties above their realistic budget because they wanted properties (3/4 bed semi's with double glazing, central heating & garage), just like they were leaving instead of doing the same as mum & dad, starting at the lower end of the property size and working their way up.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: UK Budget
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Quite right - I am amazed how many times I speak with 25 - 35 yr olds who tell me they are "having a tough time" but then find they are spending £20,000 on their wedding or spending £150 on a "good night out" over the weekend - it seems a bit out of touch to me but maybe I am a miserable old git :-)

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
Its always been tough for young house buyers. They have to adopt a saving mentality. Like you say to many have unrealistic priorities. My father told me always make sure of the roof over your head, house first.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:17 AM »
I was almost 30 before I bought my first & only house in the UK. Paid £16K for it & managed to get 100% mortgage, but even then it was a struggle for the first 2/3 years. Many were the times that I was glad I got well fed at work, (I was a hotel Asst Manager at the time, so ate in the restaurant, when on duty) 'cos, otherwise, it was food or the mortgage.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
We paid £13,500 for our first house got a almost a 100% mortgage, just had to put down £100.00 but the Bank Rate was then 15%.   We struggled and for 3 years could not buy a carpet for the spare bedroom.  My Mum and Dad came up and bought us a wardrobe when we moved in as we had no money left.   I think the fact we did struggle and did count every penny gave us a great sense of satisfaction achievement and pride.
I know nowadays newly weds want a house fully furnished with all the gadgets and a 48" T.V.    ;)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 13:31:53 PM »
I remember walking out of the Halifax having signed my first mortgage in 85 and worrying about how I was going to pay the £220 per month. If only it was that now.
I was skint for a couple of years. I eventually sold it 6 years later for £48k having only paid £21k.
I would not want to be a 1st time buyer now.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 13:48:55 PM »
Have I missed something ?? Where is the significance to the budget in these posts ??

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 14:04:04 PM »
Being brought up on a Council estate where the common mentality was that people 'like us' didn't own their own house, I moved out of my parents home & into a bedsit with nothing but my personal items and a not very well paid job. My girlfriend at the time was in a similar situation and from the same background we couldn't afford to buy, it was 4 months after we married that we were offered a Council flat.
Three years & 2 children later we were offered a Council house for £13,000 which we bought under the 'Right to Buy' scheme, but even with the discount on offer (and a low interest mortgage through the Council) we struggled to furnish the house, let alone have 'luxuries' like holidays or a social life.

We had no help from our families at all and for several years I worked full time during the week plus I did a part time job every Sunday & my then wife worked every weekday evening as well as another job every Saturday. It's probably no wonder that after 12 years the marriage went t**s up, I was left with nothing except my personal things yet again & I had to start from scratch all over except this time I managed afford a bit better than a Bedsit. But that upward struggle is another story  :-X

You try telling kids of today why you get annoyed when they tell you "it's alright for you, you have a nice house, a nice car & you go on holidays, you're lucky!" Grrrr!!  >:(

Offline Steve A

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 14:47:16 PM »
We were brought up in a hole in the road with nothing but a handful of hot gravel for breakfast,every night our dad would whip us to death with his belt.........try telling kids that nowadays,they don't know they're born!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 15:49:37 PM »
You had it easy then Steve, in my day -------------------by eck.!!    :'( :'(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf