Author Topic: Tour de France Yorkshire leg  (Read 1969 times)

Offline sadler

Re: Tour de France Yorkshire leg
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 12:38:05 PM »
Consider yourself hired KKOB getting used to this iPad keyboard is having a devastating affect on my accuracy!!!

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 18:31:06 PM »
 I'm not remotely interested in the TDF. However we live on the route of the grand depart in Leeds . We were a bit scathing about it like echogirl until we realised we couldn't escape and so decided  if you can't beat em join em! OMG I've lived on the same stretch of road for 44 years , 18 before I got married and the rest since and I've never seen such a spectacle. It was amazing. The spectators were fabulous the contestants were amazing. Yorkshire has been shown as the beautiful county we already know it to be! What a weekend, so proud to be a part of it.

Offline seawater

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 22:09:00 PM »
Today at mythomroyd

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 23:55:58 PM »
Nice pics seawater. That's me on the other side green jacket.
Fantastic day today, great to see so many people out to watch it.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Cavfan, it's great to read you had such a good time, as did many of our friends back in Yorkshire, and Harrogate in particular.

We have no interest in cycling either and have had the TDF rammed down our throats for months, with no escape as we had to write about it for various media outlets! I was so relieved we were moving before the actual event, especially as where we were living would have been completely cut off for most of the weekend thanks to the various road closures.

As with the Olympics, it will be interesting to see what the much-hyped 'legacy' turns out to be. One key hotel manager in the area has already told me he believes it will be "b&%*r all"....

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Over a million people had a great couple of days out.... Lots of events going on.. It was well planned, well executed and Yorkshire should be proud... There are always going to be the moaners but thankfully they were outnumbered.... I watched it just because it went through my home tow but thoroughly enjoyed it..Wonderful spectacle.... I did think that parts of it were dangerous to the cyclists though.... 

Offline marina

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 13:40:48 PM »
Feeling so proud of our beloved Yorkshire.. Everywhere on the route has pulled out all the stops to make this a wonderful and enjoyable event... Just reading about my home town Huddersfield., It looks amazing... There are hundreds and thousands of supporters on the route... We know how to throw a party!!!!  This will bring in pots of money for the businesses but still there are people moaning.... Get a life and let people have a bit of pleasure...

Spot on Mercury.  We didn't have much interest in the TDF before the weekend, but there's been lots happening in Huddersfield in the week leading up to the tour and the interest grew.  The route passed about half a mile from where we live (Honley) and as my eldest daughter is 8 and a half months pregnant and wanted to see it there was no marching up Holme Moss as the other daughter did.  But we parked the car a couple of minutes away from the main road and walked straight to the side of road to watch it all come through.  It was fantastic, I've never seen anything quite like it and so many people just enjoying the weather and the spectacle.  My 2 and a half year old grandson loved it all.  Yorkshire and Yorkshire people did themselves proud this weekend and I'm glad I was there to be part of it.  (And watched the rest on TV)  :D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 17:56:28 PM »
Did anyone see the news story about the people in one town - Keighley, possibly, though not certain - who were furious with Yorkshire TV for cutting to an ad break as it went through there?
Turns out it was deliberate because some naughty person had painted the C-word on the road and they didn't want to show it on camera!  ;D : :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf