Author Topic: Egypt  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Egypt
« on: July 19, 2014, 20:00:03 PM »
Has anyone holidayed in Sharm El Sheikh and done a trip to the Pyramids? If yes, was it ok or a grueling experience? Thanks  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Egypt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 20:40:38 PM »
Our friends went there to a 5 star Hotel.  The day they were due to go to the Pyramids they both had food poisoning and our lady friend ended up in hospital on a drip.  Apparently down to the serve yourself food in the hotel not being at the right temperature.
Phil, went to the Pyramids when he was on a business trip to Cairo.  He was very disappointed, said there was rubbish blowing everywhere and so many people pestering him to buy things etc.,  He hated it.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 22:28:34 PM »
I have been to Sharm several times,great for diving and nice beach.Sharm was originally based around the Nama Bay Area,but has now spread out along the coast.Have also stayed in Cairo ,well worth a visit .Pyramids and the Cairo museum are fantastic sights to see.  :)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 22:33:58 PM »
I've holidayed in Sharm a couple of times, & also in Cairo, so haven't "done" the pyramids from Sharm. Personally, I wouldn't want to do an overland trip between the two, but would take the opportunity to fly, see the pyramids & sphinx & also the museum in Cairo, where they have all the Tutankhamun artifacts. Overland trips in Egypt tend to be in convoy, with armed guards, something I didn't fancy travelling as a lone female, when I did the Aswan to Abu Simbel trip, & may not appeal to you, particularly if you have the girls in tow.

Sharm airport is no more than 30 mins from the Na'ma Bay area (even less from Sharks Bay) & it was about an hour from Cairo airport to the pyramids.  I have an Egyptian friend back in blighty, who I believe still has a number of contacts in the travel trade in Cairo, so if you want help, just shout.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 22:51:13 PM »
Thanks guys - I've been offered excursions to the Pyramids from places I have holidayed in - even Cyprus??!! So wondered if we tried Sharm next year would it be easy or an ordeal. Sounds like an ordeal and that won't do.

Is Na'ma bay better than Sharks bay?

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 23:02:48 PM »
For me it has to be Na'ma Bay, a lot of the hotels are on the promenade & you can take a nice gentle stroll to loads of restaurants, including some that are on the beach. Unlike every other place I've visited, in Egypt, dining in Sharm isn't just in hotel restaurants.

Also there are plenty of shops for the girls that are easily accessible

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 23:20:06 PM »
we went to sharm last year at Xmas. great place everything you could possible want foe a great holiday
but the pyramids like Jackie posted, was a disappointment more rubbish and carrier bags blowing everywhere
also tour guides all trying to make a fast buck but it is an experience so try it for yourselves

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 23:40:06 PM »

Also there are plenty of shops for the girls that are easily accessible

Thanks for the tip Liz, I'll find somewhere else  ;)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:07:27 AM »
I went to Sharm El Sheik last year, it had been on my to do list for a while. We were a couple of miles from Naama Bay and we ventured in a couple of times, I found it the loudest, brashest, dirtiest, most mental place I have ever been in my life.The taxi drivers were maniacs, I always thanked my lucky stars when I managed to get out of one alive! The hassle you get everywhere is the worst I have ever experienced, and they frequently fight amongst themselves for your business. It was an experience, I am not sorry I went, but I would never go back or recommend it, especially with young girls. My daughter was 30 when we went and they were all over her like a rash, constantly, she was flashed at, she was chased, it became very uncomfortable, we were glad to go home after a week.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
I went to Sharm El Sheik last year, it had been on my to do list for a while. We were a couple of miles from Naama Bay and we ventured in a couple of times, I found it the loudest, brashest, dirtiest, most mental place I have ever been in my life.The taxi drivers were maniacs, I always thanked my lucky stars when I managed to get out of one alive! The hassle you get everywhere is the worst I have ever experienced, and they frequently fight amongst themselves for your business. It was an experience, I am not sorry I went, but I would never go back or recommend it, especially with young girls. My daughter was 30 when we went and they were all over her like a rash, constantly, she was flashed at, she was chased, it became very uncomfortable, we were glad to go home after a week.

Your comments sum up exactly why I would never go to this filthy place.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf