Author Topic: Watch this wonderful advert featuring WW1 and don't have a tear in your eye.  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
The message is, Christmas, peace to all men
Very largely I agree with your liking of the ad and, on balance, I don't find the objections, the anger, to be valid. But, simply dismissing opposition with "Get a life!" (a phrase I hate) doesn't deal with the objections. As an advert paid for by Sainsbury the message is intended to be "Buy Christmas stuff at Sainsbury". That is the point of it. If it doesn't do that it has failed. Whether you think that it is OK to use a mythic depiction of an event in WWI to promote a company's products is up to you. Personally I don't get worried about it; people take offence far too readily in my view. But I can see an alternative view that says this is cynical manipulation of tragic events for corporate gain.

Offline apollo

I cannot make my mind up on this issue. One moment I am pro and the next moment anti the advert.

Anti; The timing and the final message in the advert is primarily for  market share and company profits  and if they wanted to make a donation to The British Legion they could have just made a contribution. And that the chocolate bar manufacturers have had the price paid to them screwed down to the floor.
Pro; It is a thought provoking message pointing out that we are all human and should respect each other.

Offline kevinartois

very thoughtful advert

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
I can see an alternative view that says this is cynical manipulation of tragic events for corporate gain.

Unfortunately, that's the way in which I view it. However, although I don't shop in Sainbury's very often, I won't be avoiding them in protest.

Offline kevinartois

maybe we should discuss this advert a week before christmas when it has been shown numerous times

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I am thinking of all the plays, films and documentaries that are about WW1.  They are all made with a profit in mind for the production crew and the actors and no contribution to R.B.L. but no one complains about them.
I do love this advert and it makes me sad to think of the men lost but I am glad it is (unlike other productions) making money for the Royal British Legion.
 So please people stop moaning and Get a Life   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Jacqui - I presume Paul Cummins was paid for his work.

Are you suggesting that he should make a contribution to the Royal British Legion ?

Offline kevinartois

maybe on the 18th december you could enlighten us as to how much has been contributed and how profitable it was for sainsburys 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
5,000 chocolate bars sold per hour £1.00 from each bar going to Royal British Legion to help our soldiers old and young.. R.B.L. have agreed to this advert....I know they will spend the money well.
The advert would not get me to shop in Sainbury's as our nearest one is about 30 miles away in Aberdeen, but should I be in Aberdeen, I would go in and buy a couple of the chocolate bars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf