Author Topic: Which Famous Folk Have You Met and What Were They Like  (Read 5936 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Which Famous Folk Have You Met and What Were They Like
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 16:56:04 PM »
I spent the night with Elkie Brookes !

To cut a long story short, she was appearing on stage in Birmingham and I was on a management course. My colleagues and I were just waiting for the lift from the groundfloor up to our rooms. The lift door opened and Michael Elphick (Boon) fell out. He was almost paralytic, which was par for the course at the time. He was supposed to be going up to the penthouse suite where Elkie and her family were staying. We went up with him, got invited in for a nightcap and, after Elkie had entertained us with songs from her stageshow and forthcoming album, finally bowled out of there back to our own rooms at around 7am.  Our course was due to start at 8.30, but by concensus, we resumed at 2pm.    :)

Offline patrice

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 18:32:38 PM »
Donavan ....He held the door open for me at the American Embassy I was 16
Mick Jagger He use to practice  next door to where I lived my dad on many occasion shouted to turn the noise down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 18:45:10 PM by patrice »

Offline patrice

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 18:43:28 PM »
Whoops I had not finished !!
Frank Maloney .....He was weird and gave me the creeps I meet him through Lennox Lewis I managed a clothing company and we use to make Lennox Lewis shorts and corner men's outfit Lennox  was very polite and shy at the time.
Frank Bruno ...Wonderful person so happy go lucky I use to see him often always remembered my name and was very generous in nature.
Nigel Benn a Big Headed know it all  : :)
Chris Ewbank well where does one start   ;)

Offline patrice

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 18:43:59 PM »
Whoops I had not finished !!
Frank Maloney .....He was weird and gave me the creeps I meet him through Lennox Lewis I managed a clothing company and we use to make Lennox Lewis shorts and corner men's outfit Lennox  was very polite and shy at the time.
Frank Bruno ...Wonderful person so happy go lucky I use to see him often always remembered my name and was very generous in nature.
Nigel Benn a Big Headed know it all  :  :)
Chris Ewbank well where does one start    ;)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 20:02:53 PM »
For many years I worked in hotels all over the UK, so most of the people I met were in that context. The ones that spring to mind were either very pleasant or absolute barstewards & include

Neil Coles & Bernard Gallagher (golfers) who were playing in a competition at Fulford (York) both lovely & unassuming, each tipped every member of staff in the hotel £5, to put that in context we were on about 50p an hour at the time

Lester Piggott, a very bad case of "small man syndrome". Never heard to utter please or thank you in 4 days, just "get me" or "I want"

Paul Daniels, despite what a lot of people think of him, he had no side. First time I met him, he insisted on eating with the hotel management team & what we were having. After dinner, he sat for about 15 mins showing us card tricks before he went to do his cabaret show. 2nd time was some 10 years later & 200 miles away & he remembered meeting me before & where, but apologised for not remembering my name

David Essex, who cares what he was like (& he was a smashing guy) I'd have been happy to drown in his eyes   :)

Joan Collins lived up to the name of one of her very famous '70s films 'nuf said

Malcolm McDonald (footballer) offered to take my Dad on the team coach to the Grimsby v Bournemouth game when he was manager at Bournemouth

Alex Higgins lived up to his reputation as a p$$shead, had to get the police to remove him from the residents' bar, as he'd latched on to people who were staying in the hotel (he wasn't) to fund his after hours drinking

The Liverpool & Everton teams of '83 - '85, the team buses would pick up & drop off at our hotel for all the away matches. Stand outs were "King" Kenny, who wasn't the least put out when I asked for his name to give to the taxi company on our first meeting. Peter Reid, the joker in the pack.

Mark Knopfler, who pitched up at a back street Leeds boozer, along with Guy Fletcher, Brendan Croker & Steve Phillips to do their first public gig as the Notting Hillbillies. They passed around a cap afterwards & shared the spoils. Not in the least big headed & another time I would have happily drowned in his eyes.   :)

I also met Jim Bowen, & agree with Scunner & Steve.That guy certainly travels a bit

Offline apollo

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 21:39:03 PM »
Gary-O, he was and is a good and friendly man.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 21:59:37 PM »
Very worried man at the time - paparazzi probs after his late night bicycle ride home  :-[  he was very quiet (after his empassioned but bumbling speech   ;)) but I have to say he was entertaining.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »
I've been very lucky to meet quite a few famous folk through my work, some lovely and others less so.
Some of the notables....

One of the most disappointing was David Jason, who came across as insincere and with a very high opinion of himself. I'd always liked him so this made me sad. At the other end of the spectrum was the late Lynda Bellingham, who was an absolute darling.

As an F1 fanatic, I was very nearly sick with excitement to meet Nelson Piquet and Damon Hill when my son was racing in Formula 3.....also can report both Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso are absolutely lovely. Lewis Hamilton - meh.

I was propositioned in a hotel bar in Wensleydale by Terence Stamp many, many years ago; turned him down but we had quite a jolly evening all things considered.

I'm also not a royalist AT ALL but have found myself obliged to be part of  the accompanying party on a number of royal visits in one of my professional capacities....have to say I rather liked Camilla, she had a great sense of humour. Both Princess Anne and the queen astounded me with their abilities to remember names - I guess they must be used to it, but having been introduced to someone very briefly at the start of a line-up, they always remembered everyone's when they left at the end, sometimes an hour or two later. I forget them after 20 seconds!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Marc Elliott and Kadiff Kirwan

and with Can and Ömer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf