Author Topic: How did we manage?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: How did we manage?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 17:58:16 PM »
Yep. Sending an apprentice to the stores for " a long weight ", " a left-handed screwdriver", " tartan paint " etc would be classed as harassement these days. It's taken all the fun out of jobs.  ;)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 19:29:04 PM »
We were talking about this in the pub on Friday, The greasing up and other antics we used to get up to etc and the things people used to say and call each other.
Its getting close to to the stage where you can hardly talk to people these days without being accused of bullying or harassment.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 20:52:34 PM »
And whatever you do, don't give anyone a black look, or a Chinese burn.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 21:12:45 PM »
My kids were absolutely shocked when I suggested we perhaps get some Chinese food from the "Chinky". I am in no way racist and was actually surprised to learn that this word is also not acceptable these days.

To me it was/is an affectionate term, not meant to be offensive in any way at all,

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 21:32:20 PM »

A few weeks ago I read a half page article about a Rastafarian who was starting a campaign

to take on groups that take offence on behalf of others. there was a large photo of him and

he wears a large cloth "golliwog " pinned to his jacket to make the point. We need more like

him to take on these " offendees ".

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 13:15:24 PM »
Our son went mad when we referred to the local off licence/corner shop as The Paki shop.. 20 years ago.. It is what everyone called their local corner shops in those days. We didnt think of it as racist in anyway... It would of course be unthinkeable to call it that now... We still call it a Chinky. Is this not allowed now then?     

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 15:00:01 PM »
In Dewsbury there is a chain of corner shops called "Paki Stores". Their choice & they have paid a signwriter a good few quid to make sure everyone knows the name

Offline Derek3759

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 15:29:31 PM »
worked at hall Russell shipyard Aberdeen as a plumber those days u  didn't have a choice if u left school early but you had to put up with the wind ups as an apprentice and u had to graft and I feel it was more sociable as there was no mobile phones

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 15:51:13 PM »
A case involving an assault in the street was called at Hamilton Sheriff Court a number of years ago and there were a several witnesses cited to attend.

Defence lawyer to first witness: tell the court what you were doing at the time of the asault.
Witness 1: I'd just come oot the paki shop wi mah paper...

Sheriff interrupts: I'm sorry, but you cant say that - its a local Asian shop.

A few witnesses later...

Defense lawyer to new witness: Please state your full name, age and occupation.
Witness: I'm Mohammed Jamil, I'm 47 years old and I own the paki shop on the corner of Castle Street

Cue much stifled hilarity on the part of everyone present.

True story.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 17:36:30 PM »
We have a local Asian guy who owns a Carpet Shop, A restaurant and he used to have a second hand shop locally.
He was always called Paki Ali by everyone I knew.  One day I was standing speaking to him on the street and someone came past and said to their friend "There is Paki Ali"  then they said hello to him.   Ali said to me, everyone calls me Paki Ali.  I ask him did he mind and he said, yes because I am not a Paki I come from Bangladesh.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf