Author Topic: Memories of September 2016 (the longer version)  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Memories of September 2016 (the longer version)
« on: September 26, 2016, 18:15:01 PM »
Only to be read if you really do have nothing better to do    :)

The outward journey:

Nearly came a cropper when our Glasgow Hotel was evacuated at 3:00am on the day we were due to stay. All worked out in the end.
Little security on general view at Glasgow.
Two complete muppets occupying disabled seats in the Lounge – inconsiderate idiots.
Jet2 flight – meals brought very shortly into the flight followed almost  immediately by the drinks trolley. I reckon I may have had the meal debris in front of me for a quarter of the flight – not good.

The Hotel:

The Oykun which is a good location and which attracts a great deal of repeat business.

Average of guests estimated at 85 which meant two things. 1. There were no great white sharks, turtles, aeroplanes or giant rings in the pool and 2. there were no hard bodied 25 year old males to distract the present Mrs H.

Our room was a bit dated but I understand that the Original Block has been refurbished so maybe the other Block will be done this winter. 
Storage space on a par with other hotels ( bin fro general rubbish would have been good.
TV, aircon and hair drier all provided. Extra for safe £ 7.50 per week and fridge £ 15.00 per week. Also £ 15 - £ 20 to keep room on for day of departure.

Bar and food prices reasonable and a decent breakfast spread with loads of choice.

Pleasant and attentive staff.

Internet impossibly slow – connection only on balcony and in bar.

Restaurants:

I don’t think the standard along the front generally is as good as it was in June or last year. The better restaurants are holding onto their customers. I certainly know who will be getting my vote at the end of the season.

Bars:

Personally I am finding it more and more difficult to find bars I enjoy going to. Far too much blaring music. In fact we left Joseph’s after only one drink because of the noise and that was from a football commentary !.
Paid our first ever visit to the Meri Bar. I have no idea why we have never been in before.   
Lees 60’s, 70’s’ 80’s bar always a safe haven though.
Right hand side (walking from Main Street) of previous Guitar Bar is nice but too expensive.

Generally:
Numbers on prom varied from night to night – sometimes busy sometimes quiet. Nearly everyone, but not all we spoke to said that it had been a very bad season.

I’m not sure about topless sun bathing but I am sure that ladies north of 70 should not be doing it. I am equally sure that it is not a good idea for a young lassie to go out with a micro skirt which didn’t cover her backside.

I didn’t see packs of dogs roaming the streets.

The new dolmuses are a nightmare with very little leg room and that from someone who clearly does not need a lot. Every dolmus we were on stopped as and where requested.

Lots of good days but best time was definitely our lunch time meeting with lotty.

The Inward Flight:

Meals and drinks trolley exactly the same on the way home.

Really disappointed that Jet2 did not have a stance where you could walk straight into the terminal rather than get of the plane and have to be buses to an Entrance.

More than a little miffed that the automatic passport reader failed to work and was not impressed when the Police Officer I was directed to asked if I had been on holiday.

Offline Lotty

Re: Memories of September 2016 (the longer version)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 20:24:20 PM »
 Thank you! it was lovely to meet up (and catch up) with you both again too.  :D 8)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 22:09:20 PM »
Only to be read if you want to hear me moan about most aspects of my holiday    :)

Fixed it for you.

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 22:27:59 PM »
Average of guests estimated at 85 which meant two things.

Should have read Average age.......

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 22:39:01 PM »
Only to be read if you want to hear me moan about most aspects of my holiday      :)
JF

Can you imagine how more miserable I would have been at home and just what Mrs H has to put up with for the other 48 weeks of a year.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 23:47:19 PM »
So, you enjoyed yourself then?   :)  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 19:09:30 PM »
I did indeed Anne.  :)  :)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf