Author Topic: Victim(Again!)  (Read 1844 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Victim(Again!)
« on: September 12, 2007, 13:06:30 PM »
Some of you may recall about October time last year we had a burglary which seemed well handled by the police and the subsequent insurance claim was settled quickly and to my satisfaction.  All done and dusted you might say.....WRONG!
It seems the police and public prosecutor have unknown to me kept the file alive and have apprehended some people in the ongoing chain of buying and selling stolen goods. They have located one item a mobile phone and have sent me a summons to attend court. My Turkish is not good enough to deal with legal bureaucracy so I have had to pay a legal fee to establish why I was being summoned to court. I have no claim or ongoing interest but I don't have a choice I have to go!  I can grant power of attorney but then have to pay lawyers fees.... I cannot go alone because the judge will not allow me to proceed with limited Turkish so therefore I must have an official translator...again more fees.  There is it seems no way I can just stop this process until the courts decide the matter is ended.  There is absolutely nothing I can add to this case...we were asleep at the time and did not discover the theft until we awoke and all the details of stolen items are already on file with the police!
It would seem to me that if the matter is relatively small don't bother at all. If you claim on insurance you have to notify the police first but can then get lumbered at a later date with this sort of unwanted aggravation.
They obviously don't sweep these things under the carpet as they tend to in the UK....But I just wish they had.:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf