Author Topic: Bernie Questions ..  (Read 2599 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Bernie Questions ..
« on: October 25, 2017, 19:01:40 PM »
Mosque Etiquette..
Im now living next door to a mosque. I wanted to vac today when it was prayer time, thought it was just common decency to not do it then.. My kitchen is also facing it, so a full English is out of the question. Got me thinking what are you supposed to do or not do. Not looking to offend anyone. Must say, in comparison to Ovacik, this one is in tune and doesn't sound like a strangled cat.

State of Emergency..
Is it still a state of emergency?Has anything changed.

Time..
Are we any wiser? Does the time stay the same?

Money..
After just getting whacked twice by British banks taking money out of my account,is there any way to avoid these crazy charges.(Coop Bank) Is it worth changing English to TL at the minute.

Winter..
A subject never far from my mind. I am pleased to say this part of town is so much warmer. My solar system was new in ovacik and the cloudiest of days still produced enough hot water for a shower and to do the dishes. However, this one is old. Is there some trick to using it, without turning on the immersion heater.

Recommendations..

Eren spot did a great removal service, nothing broken or scratched. They had to go down the steps of villa, down the drive, up the slope to the van with a fridge freezer, boxes, beds etc, then carry it up to the third floor. Didnt hear a single moan out of them. Great service..Highly recommended.

There is a great place opposite the Tuesday market that does, curtains, upholstery, think its called HK its on the corner at end of that block the kebab places are on. They are also brilliant, made me cushions for my settees, replaced zips, and reupholstered. They made a great job and did it all in a couple of days at a really good price. So big thanks to them.

I have a big gripe about a carpet shop, but I,ll give you the rundown on that when its resolved. 
Bernie

Offline Bluwise

Re: Bernie Questions ..
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 20:52:12 PM »
Great to hear you are in and settling Bernie.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 21:04:24 PM »
Yes, getting there. Like it here, just a bit concerned about upsetting the mosque.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 21:54:16 PM »
Don't be afraid to go and speak to the Imam. If you're not confident enough to approach him yourself, ask a Turkish friend to get you an introduction. You'll be surprised at how amenable and friendly and often well-educated about western ways they are. Most of them speak some English and some even treat western women as honorary men.

As for having a Full English, don't worry about it. It's your house.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 22:21:09 PM »
Thanks kkob. its really nice here and I wouldnt want to offend anyone.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 23:32:53 PM »
Bernie, if your looking to transfer money from uk into your Turkish account, use Transferwise. No bank charges whatsoever. You just pay a small fee to them and it is really small, only a few pounds. There is no cheaper way to send it and you normally get a better rate for the lira than you do in the Turkish bank. I have used them many times and have been very pleased with the service.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
Never heard of them Chris, thanks so much will contact them next time.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 19:14:47 PM »
Hi Bernie. Just gone on Transferwise now, wanting to transfer £500 from uk bank into Turkish bank. Total charge of just over £6 and exchange rate of 5.03, yes 5.03.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 23:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris. I have never heard of them but will be sure to look into it

Offline Fran

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 13:34:50 PM »
I've used TransferWise I sent a small amount to my Turkish account just to make sure it arrived ok, which it did much cheaper than using bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf