Author Topic: Cali Beach, beach  (Read 4446 times)

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 09:45:16 AM »
Going back to the original posting on this thread about the beach in general.
I have been going to Calis for 14 years but in June this year I(we)decided to try another part of Turkey for a change,not because I was unhappy with Calis simply for a change.
I have just returned from 14 days in Bitez.
This resort is similar to Calis with the majority of bars grouped along the waterfront of what is roughly a 'horseshoe bay'.The central area of the bay is,like Calis,flat but at both ends the ground rises very steeply.
The promenade is,like Calis,monoblocked but slightly narrower.
Almost all the bars/restaurants along the prom have extended their premises onto the beach with chairs,hammocks,huge cushions,bean bags,sun loungers and sun shades.
The beach furniture takes up most of the beach surface leaving very little available or even visible.
This concentration leaves the prom feeling very closed in,even during daylight, and when taking a meal or drink at a restaurant there is no view over the bay or of the sunsets because of the beach furniture.
The beach is a mixture of coarse sand and shingle(imported?)and shelves gently into the sea remaining shallow for a fair distance.
The costs of boat trips and other excursions are similar to Calis and are the same very good value.
However,almost everything else is at least 50% more expensive from haircuts to meals and drinks.
The beach furniture I mentioned is advertised as being free for use but with the the obvious,and reasonable, assumption that if you use them you buy food or drink from the bar providing them. Once on the beach the pressure is relentless to buy and continue to buy food or drink making it hard to relax.
Walking the prom is similar,it is impossible to walk along it at any time without being persistantly and annoyingly asked to come in and eat or 'see my menu'.
Bitez is very clean and tidy but,for me,lacks the atmosphere that brings people back to Calis.
So for us at least, we rejoice in Calis and will be back in June.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
Good post John.

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
Yes very good post john,Clais is changing,mostly for the best,it still
  has a lot to offer.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 15:48:26 PM »
Just back - one impression is that there is too much dumping of litter in and around the streets and this is getting worse - as is the increase traffic volume. Otherwise no other niggles about the place.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 17:23:33 PM »
 :) Never went on the beach once this year on the main Calis stretch, did go by the Sat, which was nice, and Surf Cafe,which is lovely,total chill out and no hassle,Rose (the massage lady) still goes to the surf cafe and did pretty well there this year, but don't know how much she charges, she always comes to us for a gab but does'nt try to sell to us,I agree theres more to Calis than the beach, even though it could do with a revamp. ;)

Offline sprinter03

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 19:22:57 PM »
Agree with the beach not being the best in Turkey but as we prefer a nice clean not overcrowded pool it does'nt bother us too much.If we had young children and wanted a beach holiday I dare say we would choose Hisaronu or Marmaris which do have nicer and safer beaches for kids.There is far more to do in those places to keep young ones happier as well so less stress for their parents.For us Calis is just a nice easy going resort by day.By night a bit livelier but not over noisy and spoilt by beer drinking yobbos you tend to get in the Marmaris type of resorts.It has a great atmosphere, the Turks we find mostly friendly and helpful and and can be a good laugh.To us its a very stress free place and WE LOVE IT which is why we keep coming back. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 19:24:20 PM by sprinter03 »

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 21:18:46 PM »
Well said Sprinter we are in total agreement with you.
We both love Calis so much, roll on three weeks time when we will be back to our beloved Calis!

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 21:27:39 PM »
Good post Sprinter  :)  I love being near the water, walking along, hearing the waves lapping the shore, watching the Sun set/rise.  Very rarely lay on the beach, much more a pool babe  :-\ Calis by day or night has an 'air' friendly, comfortable, exotic... Just love it  :) 8) ;)

Offline hazel dorrington

Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 11:53:33 AM »
I am a Calis lover and although I agree that the beach isnt the best just imagine how much more crowded and expensive it would be if it was also a beautiful beach.  The litter in the streets really annoys me especially as the wheely bin has been moved to outside my house.  But this now gives me the opportunity to manage the area by clearing up the strewn rubbish, which only takes 5mins if done daily.
I have been racking my brains to decided the best way to tackle this, and wonder if I made a designated spot for tins and one for cardboard whether people would sort their rubbish and if it would stop people turfing out everything in the bin looking for recyclable items. Any suggestions?

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Cali Beach, beach
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 14:34:53 PM »
Hazel - if we knew how to write in Turkish a simple email message which we could send to the local council asking them to kindly arrange for improved litter collection in specific areas would that help. We would need the correct email address of the local council. I don't think it is all down to people emptying bins for recycling-sometimes things never get into the bin in the first place!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 17:24:16 PM by Twin Bee »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf