Author Topic: Bike mechanic  (Read 2244 times)

Offline cleo

Bike mechanic
« on: October 08, 2007, 18:28:27 PM »
Hi,Last year I bought a motorbike and would like to know if anybody knows of a good mechanic who could service it.Maybe a ex pat or somebody who speaks english .Thanks for your trouble cheers cleo.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Bike mechanic
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 21:57:04 PM »
Janet, Why do you not think that a Turkish mechanic, who does not speak English, would be capable of servicing your motorbike. After all this is Turkey who had the World Supersport Champion in Kenan Sofuaglu in 2007.
Ken
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 21:33:35 PM by kenkay »

Offline cleo

Bike mechanic
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 17:48:27 PM »
let me explain, my husband bought a new bike last year with a 2 year guarantee,we were driving to calis in september and both shock absorbers just fell apart,luckily we had just set off from the traffic lights so we did not come to any harm.We called the service people we have dealt with in the past and they came to pick it up,we called at the workshop a few hours later to find them putting the shocks back on after they had WELDED them together.After much arguing and phone conversations with his friend ,who did speak english, he told us that the only thing that was guaranteed was the engine and not the shocks so we do feel that they are taking the wee seeing as the bike has only done 650km.

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Bike mechanic
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 19:07:48 PM »
When we lived in UK had my own motorcycle shop and am factory trained with the big four Jap manufactures and some Italian brands, (this was secondary to my musical career).
Not sure I want to get involved in the maintenance side of things again but more than happy to offer help and advice regarding servicing, general maintenance etc.
Never heard of an engine only guarantee (only on a second hand bike) but some of the less well known brands offer a very limited warranty on items subject to wear and tear, ie shocks, brakes, tyres etc.
Do agree you have had a rough deal, was this from the dealer you brought the bike from? There are a couple of good workshops in Fethiye maybe you should consider a change.
Regarding the shocks buy some decent replacements and have them fitted.
Pm me and next time you are in Calis we can meet up and I will check the bike over for you.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Bike mechanic
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 20:46:33 PM »
Now that is a really nice gesture !

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Bike mechanic
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 21:32:18 PM »
I can see your point Cleo. Whilst being a bike enthusiast I am not an expert. However Smudge is  8).
Best regards
Ken:D

Offline Cennet

Bike mechanic
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 21:33:26 PM »
Hi Cleo
I know an English motorcycle mechanic who lives in Calis. He works in a motorbike shop in Fethiye. He also runs his own off road tour business taking tourists off road on his own bikes. I will Email you his number tomorrow.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Bike mechanic
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
Help needed on motor bike thinking of buying s/h Mondial 250cc low mileage does any one know anything about them have looked on there site but it all seems to be be about the 1950s bikes nothing modern.
I have been told by various people to stay clear of the chinese bikes they sell there kurani i think they are called .

Lance:D

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Bike mechanic
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 13:26:10 PM »
Hi Lance
Mondial is an old Italian bike manufacturer who have recently started making some very nice motorcycles again, nothing to do with the Chinese Mondial which is one of many trade names coming out of the same factory.
The chinese bikes are getting better all the time, the main problems we had was long PDI times as there was no lube anywhere, nothing was adjusted correctly and sometimes parts were missing, some dealers didnt correct the problems on assembly and the bikes soon went back with major faults.
The plastic panels are not as flexable as on Jap bikes so after a few heavy handed services they are prone to cracking, most parts are not quite up to Jap standards but with care they are ok, the engines are mostly based on old Jap designs so no problems but use a good quality engine oil as the hot weather here can raise engine temp and burn more oil than expected, unless its water cooled.
Most modern bikes are very reliable with many problems down to user error or not having the right bike for the intended use.

Offline cleo

Bike mechanic
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 20:01:57 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone for all your advice.Smudge have you got a number that I can reach you on when I come over in February as I could do with your advice if that is ok.You could email it to me if you prefer.Thanks Keith ( the other half )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf