Author Topic: No water  (Read 3270 times)

Offline mibur

No water
« on: October 11, 2007, 14:33:20 PM »
Hi everyone.
Just arrived back in sunny UK !!! (I have had to sort out my thermals, due to the sudden shock in the temperature drop back here)
We were in Calis for two and a half weeks, sheer heaven apart from the lack of water for three days in the second week.
Apparently, builders on a nearby complex damaged the main water pipe. The council in true Turkish style took three days to fix the damage.
It's amazing how much we all take for granted "running water". Just a simple trip to the loo meant first getting a bucket of water from the swimming pool (as advised by the property developer we purchased from)
We had to stock up on bottled water for drinking etc.
On the second day of no water, we also had a power cut lasting several hours. There we were sitting in the dark with no water and couldn't even make a cuppa. A trip down to the town was the only answer and have a few large Efes.
We had to eat out most days because washing up was such a hassle (well that's my excuse)
When the water came back on I had to fight my other half to use the shower first. Needless to say I got first chance. I had just stepped in to the shower, getting up a good lather, when the water went off again. Very much to the delight of my other half, who then had the pleasure of tipping ice cold water over me to rinse me off!
I telephoned the council and in their very broken English,(my Turkish is virtually nil) told me that after fixing the first leak they had found another on reconnecting the supply.
"Big problem" they said, "Water will be on again some time the next day"
As it happened we only had to wait a few more hours before it was running again.
On our last day, (Wednesday) I got up to make my good lady a nice cuppa and breakfast in bed. (I need all the brownie points I can get!!)
Turned the tap on and all I got was a bit of a splutter and no water.
Nightmare!!
We had all the sheets and towels etc to wash before we came back to the UK. I took a walk down to the local shop to stock up on more bottled water so we could at least have a drink.
On my way back I bumped in to a lady who I had spoken to briefly on a previous day, just walking across the bridge across the canal near our complex. I told her our water was off again and she very kindly offered the use of her washing machine, so we could at least make sure all the linen was cleaned. (Sorry, forgot to ask the name of the lady, but if you visit this site, a very big thank you for your offer)
As it turned out the water was only off for a few hours so we managed to get everything done before our return.
All's well that ends well, as they say.
Now I am busy scouring the net to find a flight for our next trip out to Calis.
Water or not as Arnie would say "I'll be back"

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
No water
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 16:01:17 PM »
 :):D Great to hear you had a good holiday guys LOL  ;)  How nice of that lady to offer you the use of her washing machine  :)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
No water
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 16:27:33 PM »
Not sure where you are based Milbur, but we have had new water/sewage pipes being laid since early September and we also went without water for a couple of days,it is on going in the area behind Pelin Hotel and up that side of town.

Tinx

Offline suzi Q

No water
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 17:50:49 PM »
Is that problem still ongoing?
First noticed that the scrubland behind our place was flooded in late july.
Then my daughter told us that in early september they dug it all up.
leaving it in a right mess.
are they still working on it?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
No water
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 17:55:57 PM »
Suzi, sounds like you are very close to us we had the same view, it was still going on during September

Tinx ;)

Offline suzi Q

No water
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 17:59:05 PM »
where is your place tinkerman, Do you live in that villa on the corner with the lovely garden?

Offline suzi Q

No water
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 18:03:48 PM »
sorry i,m assuming that you live in calis.
maybe because you have alot of posts.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
No water
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 18:04:09 PM »

This might give you a clue ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 18:05:27 PM by tinkerman »

Offline suzi Q

No water
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 18:15:34 PM »
Ah, your a block over to us. we are more towards the pelin.

Offline suzi Q

No water
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 18:17:58 PM »
sorry tried to post a photograph, couldn't do it........

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf