Author Topic: Calis tap water  (Read 5674 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Calis tap water
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »
Search the web under the incidence of Kidney stones and you will find all the statistics you want or bury your head in the sand .....your choice. :)

Offline Diverbaz 1

Calis tap water
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »
I am now confused, I have just done as tribalelder said and looked this up on the internet. I have always believed that it was the high mineral content of the water that was one of the causes of the kidney stones. Now I have found that there is no diffinative evidence of this, in fact one of the things to do to prevent kidney stones is drink more water. Some of the main things that can cause kidney stones is drinking tea & coffee, eating nuts, all of which are done regularly in Turkey. All the sites I visited agreed there is a high rate of incidence of kidney stones in Turkey (1 per 1000 annually, increasing) but nowhere did it say that a possible cause is the water. As I said I am now confused.
Does anybody have a web site that states that it is the water? I would be interested to read it.

Baz 8)[?]

Offline MDavies

Calis tap water
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »
i drink the tap water, not been ill yet, if i become ill through it well then i'll start drinkin bottled

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Calis tap water
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »
The main cause of kidney stones is believed to be mineral supersaturation, but diet temperature, humidity, heredity, medications etc. etc. all contribute. No one it seems can pinpoint 100% the precise cause.
Bearing in mind the suspected main cause, why risk pumping more high mineral content into the system when there is a less risky alternative.....water with a lower mineral content.
I had a kidney stone twenty years or so ago and believe me I would not wish that pain on anyone. If bottled water reduces the risk by even a small amount it will be more than worth it. :)

Offline lisa marie xx

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
I have always drank the tap water here and never had a problem,I started my son drinking tap water aswell(boiled 1st)as all his turkish family drink it and say its ok. I read some stories on a previous post regarding tap water and changed my son to bottled water straight away.Ive no proof that tap water will do him any harm but im not even chancing it with him.
I still drink it though! And yes it does make Tea taste horrible!

Offline Diverbaz 1

Calis tap water
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 12:43:01 PM »
tribalelder,

Do you still drink tea and/or coffee which are known, according to the websites, to have a link to kidney stones. You say you only drink bottled water just in case there is a link, but are you still taking a chance with known links?

If there was evidence, and looking at the websites there has been a lot of research, surely there would be warnings on these sites about the risk of drinking water in Turkey.

Baz 8)

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Calis tap water
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
Well done Lisa, not worth taking a chance with your little ones health.
We were told in no uncertain terms by our baby doctor here in Fethiye not to give tap water to children and if we had any sense not to drink it ourselves.
It is safe to drink but long term use can lead to renal problems, that is why there are so many renal clinics here.
As with smoking, not everyone will get cancer and not everyone will get renal problems by drinking the water.
We do have Turkish friends who have had kidney stones and as TE says, very painfull.

Another thing to consider is the mains water is supplied on a high pressure system, when we get one of the many water cuts, bacteria can enter the system and you can end up very ill, this happened to us and other people in our area a few years back, we have not drank tap water at home since.

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
Calis tap water
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 13:20:40 PM »
Not wanting to be a sensationalist, but is everyone aware that bottled water has a high level of minerals!  As the adverts tell you filtered through volcanic rock etc etc.  Mothers are told not to give babies bottled water because of the very high mineral content.

In a bottle or out of the tap it would appear you cannot get away from it, unless your tap water is naturally 'soft'.

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Calis tap water
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 13:57:18 PM »
This isnt the trendy bottled water you get in the UK, it is basic spring water from another district, not filtered through volcanic rock etc, but treated with the normal chemicals that go into tap water, minus minerals, and with four years use the inside of our kettle is as clean as the day it was brought.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Calis tap water
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 14:12:02 PM »
Yes I drink tea and coffee but now usually only one coffee and two black or green teas daily...much less than I used to particularly coffee and the quantity is of course a fraction of the recommended daily intake of water here. Ironically both these teas are claimed to be beneficial for you!
Politically you cannot warn against some thing like water that is essential to your wellbeing.
There will probably never be a definitive answer here but the options have been aired which is important. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf