Author Topic: what is open at Byram  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
what is open at Byram
« on: November 24, 2007, 19:40:12 PM »
Hi Everyone
Wonder if anyone can tell me what shops will be open at Byram.
I have been told that the start of  Byram is the 20th December this year, was going to come out to get some furniture but a little worried that the furniture shops may be shut. Also wondered if anyone knew wether the Calis Sunday market will be on.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Offline sominekebap

what is open at Byram
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 19:54:38 PM »
Kurban begins 70 days after the end of Islamic month Ramadan therefore it will start on 19th for 4 days. Also the halfday in the afternoon of previous day. The Sunday market being on 23rd will most definitely be open but it will usually be more expensive both immediately prior and after the holiday. Furniture shops, I doubt will be open.

Offline baklavalover

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:27 AM »
The day before is known as Arife and is the day when people remember their dead relatives.
banks and shops will be shut and to be honest you won't want to be out and about too much on the first two days of Kurban Bayram as it the sacrifical holiday and therefore will be bloody and messy as every family will slaughter something four legged and cloven hoofed in their garden.  My husband buys and sells sheep and goats and this is our busiest time and for those first two days, I stay in with the curtains drawn til mid afternoon. No wonder I am vegetarian

Offline sominekebap

what is open at Byram
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by baklavalover

you won't want to be out and about too much on the first two days of Kurban Bayram as it the sacrifical holiday and therefore will be bloody and messy as every family will slaughter something four legged and cloven hoofed in their garden.  

That's true for the villages however, there are big fines if caught doing so in a residential district of a municipality.

Wife's father last Bayram.  :o

Offline sominekebap

what is open at Byram
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »
He's the one on the right :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf