Author Topic: Expats (how long)  (Read 14107 times)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Expats (how long)
« on: November 25, 2007, 21:57:59 PM »
For those of you who have upped sticks and moved to Turkey permanently, how long have you lived there, and are there any who could not settle and moved back.and how many are about to move there.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expats (how long)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 22:00:01 PM »
3 years 7 months, can't settle  ;)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Expats (how long)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 22:18:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

3 years 7 months, can't settle  ;)

:)It takes time Scun.:PGive it a chance. ;)

Offline starman

Expats (how long)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:11:21 AM »
over 15 years.
Interesting stat from the consulate. 70% of those that move here go back within 3 years.

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
Expats (how long)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:17:02 AM »
Two months and going to UK today!(from necessity) but will be coming back for good again in a week's time!
Pete [^]

Offline baklavalover

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 05:15:11 AM »
8 years in April - easy for me to settle but then I have lived all over the world and Turkey is easier than Japan or Vietnam let me tell you !!
I think many people give up and move back because they move over here with the wrong expectations, and many that stay seems to want to change it into something a little more English - take the bunch up in Ovacik with their petitions to the mayor for leccy bills in English and trying to set up a political party !  Yawn

Offline apollo

Expats (how long)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 06:09:04 AM »
5 years.

Just about to renew our visas for another 5 years.

We thought that we would give it a bit more time, just to make sure.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:35:50 AM by apollo »

Offline Firo

Expats (how long)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 06:24:23 AM »
7 months and still loving it.
Fi & Eric

Offline Diverbaz 1

Expats (how long)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
About to take the plunge in three weeks and five days, that is if there are no hiccups with the house sale, none forseen. We have been planning this for about 10 years, to happen when I retired, now through a change of circumstances we can move three and a half years earlier. although originally it was not Turkey we were going to settle in, it was Greece, then we discovered Turkey and that was it, hooked. It is planned as our last stop, after being a bit nomadic for the last few years due to work commitments, on remote island communities with a lack of resources including food sometimes. (who needs HP sauce, when there was nothing to put it on:() Turkey has been our home in our minds for many years now.
Calis-beach.co.uk has been the best single source of information, thanks to all you guys for your posts, I hope we can contribute our experiences so as to be useful to others when we are there.

After all the years of planning, it all seems to be happening so fast now, lots to sort out and getting to be very little time to do things.

Must get on, things to do ;)

Baz 8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expats (how long)
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by baklavalover

take the bunch up in Ovacik with their petitions to the mayor for leccy bills in English and trying to set up a political party

It is a good point - those who come to live their dream then try to fundamentally change it, probably shouldn't have come.

Seemingly impossible things can be achieved here, and mundane, everyday tasks can be incredibly frustrating. That is all part of the experience, and can often result in an amusing story - that'll do for me  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf