Author Topic: Expats (how long)  (Read 14109 times)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Expats (how long)
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2007, 13:06:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Twin Bee

What a fascinating thread to read after being out of touch for a couple of weeks.
My take is that in respect of life 'the journey is more important than the destination.' It doesn't matter one bit whether someone (only) enjoys Turkey/Calis for a few months and returns. Nothing is forever and at least it shows these people are not stagnant. People returning are not failures no more than people staying can be judged achievers - not that any one is saying there are failures!
The joy is that people have the opportunity to explore options and to share their experiences in a way that my parents could only dream about.

:) Good post Twinbee, very well written, the journey throughout our lives, is very much, the important part  :) ;)

Offline julesbob0303

Expats (how long)
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2007, 13:32:42 PM »
I have read this topic with great interest (has taken me ages to get through 9 pages, but just couldn't drag myself away!).

We had visited Turkey only a couple of times, when we came to Calis for a two week holiday in the summer.  By that time our beautiful house in Wales was already on the market with a potential buyer, as we had made the decision to buy a second home in Turkey.

We downsized (from a 5 bedroomed detached house to a mid terraced cottage) and bought a lovely 3/4 bedroomed apartment with the difference in money.  We love it and can't wait to return at Easter.

We too have teenage children and know we have to wait before we can "retire" early to Calis.  We will not sell our "new" 100year old cottage, so that we can return to the UK whenever we want (shouldn't think it will be too often though!).  We have done our homework and are fully aware that the weather is not brilliant in the winter (though its got to be better than the awful weather we are currently having in the UK - storms, gales etc etc etc!)  Our house here would then be available for our older children to use, should they want to.  

This is our dream for a few years time, and gives us something to look forward to.  I don't think we will ever make the move permanently (despite this being our original intention), but who knows .......   We love Calis, and the thought of a slower pace of life, with lots of walking, cycling AND SUNSHINE IN THE SUMMER is just so tempting.

Thanks for all the interesting contributions - this forum is a fantastic place for info etc on the Calis area.  So glad I found it!

Offline tel

Expats (how long)
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2007, 16:27:18 PM »
julesbob0303......congrats on your vision and plans.
I wonder though how much any house kept in the UK cost to maintain or rent out with the fees associated when taken into account.
When you retire, maybe Calis will be unrecognisable to what it is now.
So I wonder what members think of living in Calis in the future may be like?

Offline wickwilly

Expats (how long)
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2007, 19:02:07 PM »
Started working in Istanbul in 1992. Now living in Uzumlu and have no intention of returning to the UK. Life here is what you make it. I find there are not enough hours in a day winter or summer. Just get some interests and hobbies and dont spend all your days drinking in bars listening to the same boring stories from the same boring know it alls .

Offline busybee

Expats (how long)
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »
Hubby and I have been here two and half years now and love it. We took early retirement.  Theres not enough hours in the day for me gardening, dog walking, gardening club, turkish lessons, darts and bowls.  Hubby found not working more of a problem but joined the gym and goes three times a week.  He has taken up cooking as a hobby which is great. Our social life is far better and affordable than in the UK. We have made great friends and neighhbours.  The turkish folk we know have never been anything but polite friendly and helpful.  I for one wouldnt give tuppence to live back in Blighty with there stupid elf and safety and human rights.  As for crime lets not even go there(literally). Early retirement is difficult in any country but there are countless charities out there who would love to have the befit of inteligent dedicated hard working volunteers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf