Author Topic: It's like a drug!  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Lindar

It's like a drug!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 18:55:11 PM »
That's disgusting Ian and so typical of what we hear about too much in this country. I would like to get out of England while I am still young enough to enjoy some life (43 years young). At the moment I too am having a love affair with Turkey, but have commitments here with 13 year old son and his education. However I do dream about having a new life in Turkey, could I possibly move my son to another country to be educated? Already tried this in South Africa, very bad choice! Wasn't my decision that one. No longer with husband that made that choice for us (left him in South Africa)! I guess there is no perfect country or Eutopia but Turkey certainly seems to come quite close to it. I admire all of you who take the plunge and I do believe that dreams can become a reality and that if you want anything enough you can make it happen. But for now I must content myself with 2 hols a year and possibly a longer stay next year and then who knows!!  :)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
It's like a drug!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 19:06:27 PM »
Lindar - I am sure you will make it before too long.
Interestingly you listen to some who have moved young children out and one of the plus points is the standard of education.

I was over at Christmas and often use the Tas Firin at lunchtime opposite the schools in Fethiye and it is quite pleasing to see well behaved children in uniforms coming in for their lunch.

I know they will not all be well behaved BUT there does seem to be an inbuilt respect for authority / elders and personal property and any system that does that gets my vote!!  :)

All the best

Ian

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 20:19:33 PM »
 :)Ours is a long story Ian, but bottom line is if at all possible we would stay 6 months a year, or 2 x 3 mths. ;) As they say you never know your luck in the big city. ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 20:57:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

And a friend of my mothers who is 80 has been looking after her husband who started with Parkinsons 5 years ago. After 2 years she couldn't cope anymore so she asked for help and the advice has resulted in the following.....:

Whilst fully understanding the point you make Ian, can anyone on the Forum tell us what this woman's situation would be in Turkey, so that we can make an informed comparison.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 21:08:31 PM »
I am not sure it warrants comparison as the social services in both countries are more than likely at greatly differing levels of maturity.

It comes back to a welfare state that asked for contributions from 2 people who worked all of their lives and paid a great deal of money into the system until they were both 65 on the basis that the State would take care of them - and now when they can do nothing about it - the state wants to be paid for its support because it is taking care of too many people that have paid or pay little or nothing into the system.

It stinks

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 21:39:45 PM »
 :)I agree, my father had parkinsons disease he worked all his life and had to retire early due to the progression of the disease in the meantime my mother who had also worked for as long as I can remember (being the youngest of 5) took ill with a brain tumour and eventually had to have long term care, they too were told to sell their house to pay for the care,I should explain the story fully for you to understand, but I dont want to appear like I am looking for the sympathy vote, basically the state gave them nothing and told them to sell their home, It sickens me to the core, and thats being polite, its a legal rip off,on the peole who have done so much for this country. (i'm on one now): :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 22:09:58 PM »
Apologies Ian - I seem to have unintententionaly diverted your original interesting topic onto one on the Welfare State.

I'm sure we can discuss that elsewhere and would respectfully suggest that replies here are to Ian's original point which is certainly worthy of more discussion.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
It's like a drug!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 22:38:07 PM »
Laffa - I feel for you - you seem to have very strong family values and I suspect that helped you get through - but it is still a disgrace and the worst thing is you are helpless to do anything about it.

Highlander - no problem at all and I take your point that we must not be deluded by rose tinted glasses - gosh we were cold at night at Christmas in our apartment even with the gas fire and the aircon on - so it is not all sunshine and roses!!

I suppose I am trying to understand what makes the urge so addictive for those of us who are counting the days.

Early in the post someone said 8 weeks 4 days (I think) - my other half tells me how many weeks to our next visit in the bathroom every morning! (we do shower as well as well as put the world to rights in that morning ritual)

I think we are generally normal rational people - but we are hooked - selling houses - giving in notices - living on boats - counting daily - if this was one of my 4 children I would probably tell them to stop being silly.

So I still don't understand it - but I can't stop it?? :D

Offline heatherhanum

It's like a drug!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Hi Anne No we didnt hear from that couple who showed an interest in our house but we remain hopeful as its a new year and people do start looking at buying now. I will keep everyone posted when anything happens as I will be asking for advise, support etc. This is the best place To come to check things out. Please keep your fingers crossed for us. The trouble with me is i am so impatient I want things to happen NOW. How are things going with you?

Offline heatherhanum

It's like a drug!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
I just want to say that things are not fair nor equal in this country. An example. There are 2 older people in need of residential or nursing care. One person saved all his/her life bought a property put money in the bank saving for a rainy day. The other person had a good time lived in rented accommodation never saved a penny. both now need care. Both are assessed by social services, both go into the same home the one who has savings and a property will pay the full weekly charge of say 400 pound per week the other person who has no savings and no property will pay a very small contribution from their pension. Both will
receive the same service. It doesnt pay anyone to save for their old age.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf