Author Topic: Buying land in Turkey - BEWARE  (Read 2192 times)

Offline KAS

Buying land in Turkey - BEWARE
« on: March 01, 2008, 16:03:29 PM »
Hello

In 2005, my husband and I finally bought some land on the Bodrum Peninsula  as we couldn't find quite the right house that we wanted, on our budget, and so thought that buying land would be a way of having a house that ticked all the boxes. We had all the paperwork triple checked and everyone was happy that the land could be build on as it was classified as being in a touristic area.  After spending months, and more money, designing the house along with a project manager and an architect, we were finally ready to submit the plans in order to get the design of the house approved by the local council.  However, the council then put a hold on approving ANY plans as they were to review the current boundaries between "touristic" land and land that is graded as "1st grade nature protected areas".  To cut a long story short, they have since come back and said that the area that we have bought in has now changed it's status and is now classed as a nature protected site.  

As we already had building permission when we bought the land, we have spent even more time and money on a solicitor who has taken this to the ministry and high court.  We have been informed that the decision will not be changed for anyone, and to add insult to injury, they quote a directive issued in 2005 by the Anitlar people (without knowledge of the general public) effectively asking the Belediyes to ignore any Court decisions lifting or changing 1st, 2nd or 3rd grading.  

We are currently trying to sell the land but who is going to buy it without building permissions - I wouldn't!!  I cannot really see anything positve coming out of this situation but just to say that even when everything seems to be above board, decisions can be made and changed that are completely out of your control and can end up costing you a hugh amount of moneyand heartache.

I look forward to hearing from anyone else who has found themselves in the same position or can offer any advice.

KAS :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf