Author Topic: Lentil Soup  (Read 13005 times)

Offline sunnyd

Lentil Soup
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 21:45:34 PM »
davybill.. it's ezo gelin (bride's soup) my fave  :)

4 Tablespoons butter
2 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup red lentils, washed and picked over
1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
8 cups vegetable or beef stock
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon dried mint leaves, crumbled
Garnish: lemon slices and a few mint leaves

Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions over low heat until they are golden--about 15 minutes. Stir in the paprika, then the lentils and bulgur to coat them in the butter. Add the tomato paste, stock, and hot pepper, bring to a boil, and cook until soft and creamy--about an hour.

When ready to serve, crumble the mint between your palms into the soup. Stir and remove the soup from the heat. Let rest for 10 minutes, then ladle into bowls, serving each with a lemon wedge and a sprinkling of mint leaves (if available) or crushed dried mint.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Lentil Soup
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 22:01:44 PM »
MY DADS SPECIAL...PEA WACK
Boil up a bag of bacon pieces (or cooking bacon - cheap as chips in Sainsburys or Asda) in 2.5 litrs of boiling water for approx 1 hour.  Remove the meat and leave the stock to go cold, so that all of the fat off the meat solidifies and rises to the top. Strain the stock through a sieve, so that  you are left with a clear stock.
Add half a bag of "orange" lentils, one finely chopped onion and 4 or 5 shredded or finely chopped carrots.  I dont even bother to peel the carrots.  Boil until the veg is softened and the lentils have thickened (around 45 mins to one hour).
I can never believe how delicious this soup is, when made without any salt or pepper or spices or herbs....four simple ingrediants....bacon bits, onion, carrots and lentils. My kids love it, as do we!!! (I added six small chopped potatoes tonight to bulk it up and fill it out a bit more!!!)  Serve with warm crusty bread....mmmmmmmmmmmm.......oh, and it thickens up and tastes even better the next day!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Lentil Soup
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 22:12:28 PM »
Ok I'm up for giving that a go  :) - so when you strain the stock Sue, you chuck the fat that rises to the top?

Scouser night at Scunner's!! Ahhhright ahhh kiiid ahhhhright

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Lentil Soup
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 15:48:19 PM »
Well I made "Colwyn's Lentil Soup" and everyone thought it was brill! Thanks for sharing.

Compliments from all the family including one from a daughter, "I can say this is the best soup I've ever had" <pause> "Apart from Heinz chicken soup".

Praise indeed.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Lentil Soup
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2011, 17:21:22 PM »
Sue, I do my PEAWACK with a bacon joint, then cut it up and put it back in, definately tastier the next day, ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf