Author Topic: Neighbours 'Bahce'  (Read 2073 times)

Offline LoubyLou

Neighbours 'Bahce'
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:21:45 AM »
For anyone who is interested in our visit....

We were over for a week last week, and our neighbour asked us if we wanted to visit her 'bahce' - we assumed this was a little plot of land where they grew a few extra veg.... we were keen to go so we could compare it to our own allottment back here!!

It was about 15 minutes drive out of Uzumlu on the Cadianda road towards Ortaca/Kemer. There was no sign of any sort or arable land from the roadside. We went up a little track and there was about 4 old houses, where our neighbours brothers lived with their families - from our limited turkish we beleieve the land belonged to our neighbours parents who had since passed away and divided the plot up for the remaining children. Each brother had similar sized plots - the whole area was vast.

We stopped for tea and chatted with extended family, then we walked round a few rocks to find our neighbours huge olive grove (now I know why she alsways give us olives), huge field growing some sort of crop to feed her 2 cows on. Another little walk - another patch containing an orchard of  fruit trees, and a few different veg.

And then, while waiting for her to knock up a quick bit of lunch before we left, we were shown to a huge pond full of terrapins competely surrounded by hedges (no fish however!!) The noise from the pond (more lake size) was astonishing.

I have to say the place took my breath away - very quiet with an awesome backdrop of the mountains surrounding us. It really was an amazing place.

I know my neighbours are not financially well off, but I wonder who is really richer????? They work hard, but also seem to have plenty of time to chat to us and help us out have friends and family visit, etc.

Needless to say, our allottment pails into insignificance compared to theirs!!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
Thats true wealth.Theyve got the right Idea.!!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:27 AM »
Hey Loubs, glad you had a fab week.  Your visit to Navjan's ground sounds just like when we were invited to tea at Makbules !  Acres and acres of immaculately ploughed land, growing every conceivable fruit, vegetable and salad.  we came away with enough goodies to feed the entire village. It was so peaceful and we sat listening to the bird song.  The chickens and ducks clucking (do ducks cluck ?!) around our feet, goats, cows and sheep munching in the field.  The family sleep out under the grape vines during the heat, with a sky full of stars.....Bliss.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 20:53:48 PM »
Did you also see the aged wife slogging slowly along, bent double with a massive weight of logs/branches on her back or the dogs chained up and given just husks of bread to eat or the donkeys with 2 feet tethered together? Let's please get some balance in this blissful picture that is continually painted on here by tourists who pop out here for a week or 2 each year.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 20:56:00 PM »
thanks for posting LL what a lovely post,what a way to live.

Offline LoubyLou

Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:06:56 AM »
Chris - I said they work hard - I am no fool I can see the effects the life has on some. That is not the point of my post.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:00:51 AM »
LoubyLou.Beauty Is in the eye of the beholder.Positive people have positive experiences.Thanks for telling us yours.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 15:06:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris tippett

Did you also see the aged wife slogging slowly along, bent double with a massive weight of logs/branches on her back or the dogs chained up and given just husks of bread to eat or the donkeys with 2 feet tethered together? Let's please get some balance in this blissful picture that is continually painted on here by tourists who pop out here for a week or 2 each year.

Another predictable post Chris  - we are fully aware of the hard work etc etc - however, I say it as I see it.  The family that i talk about are blissfully happy and are so very proud of what they have.  And I for one am very jealous.  And for your information, I don't count myself as a tourist.  We are out in turkey as often as we can be - we aren't all lucky enough to live there at the moment.  But i consider Turkey my 'home' - warts and all.

Offline saoirse

Neighbours 'Bahce'
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 17:23:34 PM »
well said Pookie :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf