Author Topic: damp proof  (Read 2799 times)

Offline cicek girl

damp proof
« on: October 05, 2010, 14:04:08 PM »
We have just discovered that rhe villa we bought 6 years ago does not have a damp proof. So we are getting damp coming through the ceramic tiles and low on the walls. I expect this is a common issue with villas of this age although the Turks seem to have discovered damp proofing now. Has anyone else tackled this problem? We are getting advice from the person who looks after the maintenance on the villa but I'm not convinced he knows the best avanue to take.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
damp proof
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 15:10:55 PM »
Without fairly major structural reinstatement I would suggest you just learn to live with it (which after six years you probably more or less have). I have read all about things you inject, paint on or drill in at regular spacing intervals and am yet to see something worth the effort.

Lack of a damp course is as you say fairly common, especially on older properties and is the main contributing factor. Very regular airing will help keep it under control - a combination of damp substrate sometimes with hot ambient temperature and no air movement at all is most undesirable.

Offline Robw

damp proof
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 17:39:44 PM »
Is it damp or is it condensation?

Generally brown indicates damp and black condensation.
If its condensation then heat and ventilation are the key factors.

Offline Steve A

damp proof
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 18:34:34 PM »
We had ours drilled and injected 4 yrs ago but were ripped off by No nem and it never worked.We have had occasional patches where the plaster has bulged,2 repairs in 4 years less than £100 versus the £1800 paid to No Nem !Just stick with regular clean up and repairs,make sure the place is aired adequately during winter months etc

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
damp proof
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 18:51:22 PM »
That English guy from No Nem made an appointment to come and see me about his amazing damp proofing system. I knew there and then that it was a load of nonsense!

Offline cicek girl

damp proof
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 19:07:46 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies. We had thought of really going for it and lifting the ceramics etc. and laying a membrane. But felt it was a bit drastic and there is always the problem of being completly ripped off and the problem not being solved. We have had it painted after 5 years and I feel we would need to do his anyway. It has put our minds at rest to hear your comments. Thanks again. I registerd just today and feel like I belong. I shall certainly bother to read other questions and help if I am able to.:P

Offline welshbrickie

damp proof
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 19:23:06 PM »
there is a glue solution you can paint on the walls that will solve the problem.The yapi market by cafe pazaar sells it, and costs about 20-30tl,I have forgoten the name of it but its similar to pva in the uk.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
damp proof
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 19:26:36 PM »
I've pondered this for nearly 10 years now and really there is little benefit in lifting tiles and laying a membrane. Water is coming from beneath the slab and if you block it at the top it won't disappear, it will make it's way to the edges (the external walls generally) and effectively you have forced something like 50m2 of damp up relatively a few square metres of wall base. This could very probably be far worse a problem than you have now.

The best option (apart from half destroying the downstairs walls) is to let the damp come through slowly and dissipate almost naturally - if it comes through slowly, good and regular air circulation will take it away. Heat is not the only requirement for drying, air movement is more important - hence the need to get the front and back door and all possible windows open as often as possible.

Rob is also right regarding damp/condensation. One of the problems with houses not being used in winter there is that one can contribute to the other. Both however thrive in enclosed environments.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
damp proof
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 19:32:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by welshbrickie

there is a glue solution you can paint on the walls that will solve the problem.The yapi market by cafe pazaar sells it, and costs about 20-30tl,I have forgoten the name of it but its similar to pva in the uk.

Buy it by all means, it won't solve the problem.

Give the 30 lira to the Carnival charity  ;)

Offline George Warner

damp proof
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »
The name of one of the products is Isoguard,total waste of money,it actually blocks the damp inside the wall,think about it, then if you plaster over it everything lifts off

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf