Author Topic: Please read  (Read 6888 times)

Offline tiddly winks

Please read
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 23:49:42 PM »
Can only agree with ronzeus

When I was in primary school we had a trip to a place called Hazard Alley. There were many simulations, in particular a house where you needed to spot hazards that could cause a fire. We were also given scenarios which we had to react to, like phoning for a fire crew.
Learning there was fun, but I have remembered everything since. It's a shame places like Hazard Alley aren't available everywhere as they are simply brilliant in teaching safety with fires and other life threatening situations.

Offline braveheart

Please read
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Eric

We are now looking at fire safety within our rented apartment and have resurrected the ealier thread

Can you explain a little further?
I find it difficult to understand why no fire extinguisher is recommended
Surely an appropriate type of extinquisher of correct size must be better than none at all (even if it is only for a waste bin fire)?

I appreciate that the temptation may be there to stop and fight the fire with an extinguisher - but just maybe it would be wiser to have one available that may prevent a small fire emerging into a major incident  

Regards
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Eric

The best way to protect yourself and your home is to have properly installed smoke alarms. As a minimum you should have one fitted to the ceiling in the downstairs hall and one on the upstairs landing ceiling.  In an apartment/bungalow, one in the corridor and one in the lounge.  They should be fitted away from any door frames and near the centre of the ceiling.  Don't fit one in the kitchen as it will be going off all the time.

Make sure that smoke alarms are maintained regularly. Test once a week and change the battery at least once a year if it doesn't have a 10-year battery. DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY TO USE IN ANOTHER APPLIANCE, buy another battery!

Buy a fire extinguisher? No! it will put you in more danger and they are only usefull for a fire the size of a waste paper bin.

Reproduced, and modified to suit Turkey, from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service advice. (My old mob)              

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:31:19 AM by braveheart »

Offline Ray1951

Please read
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 17:03:32 PM »
Health & Safety regulations apply to all hotels where UK citizens holiday via a tour operator viz. Thomson, Thomas Cook etc.  At the start of the season all hotels receive a questionnaire which they have to complete. Hardly any of the hotel staff understand the questions so the answers are hit & miss. Last year because I am Health & Safety Audit Trained, and an ex rep I was asked to complete two questionnaires for two tour companies by a hotel in Calis. When I spoke to the owner re smoke detectors, life ring at the pool, plastic glasses for round the pool and other various things, he said "UK people are cheap! The company pay me small para and you say I need these things - no!"  Explaining that failure to comply could mean loss of business, he said "I bring Turkish people my hotel". EU rules do not have to be implemented in Turkey and many owners will NOT comply simply to fall into compliance with EU rules.

Offline june

Please read
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
Am I being a bit stupid here...I can't see anything that tells me what has happened ....but it sounds bad...can someone point me in the right direction please...I hope nobody was hurt...?..

Offline Stan

Please read
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
Hi June ,I have just sent you an e mail.

Offline june

Please read
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
Thanks Stan.....just realised having seen the dates....tragic...hopefully people learn lessons that will make things safer in the future and stop  awful incidents like this happening again.

Offline braveheart

Please read
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 14:14:42 PM »
which really brings me back to my question - appropriate fire extinguisher to be made available or not?

Offline Jim Fraser

Please read
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 14:32:53 PM »
braveheart - I can understand why an extinguisher is not recomended.
First priority on finding a fire is to warn others and get them clear of the area, if an extinguisher was at hand and used before warning others then valuable time could be lost, also if the person using the extinguisher was not fully competent in its use then it could actually cause more of a danger.

Offline braveheart

Please read
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 14:41:17 PM »
points taken Jim - just seems to go against all my industrial training

Offline cheers

Please read
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 20:51:04 PM »
Braveheart my H&S fire training taught me there was more than one type of fire and more than one extinguisher to deal with fires.  The smaller ones used in homes are too small to deal with more than a small fire and if you use the wrong one ......  
Recommendations are 'Get out, phone and stay out!  Best recommendartion is buy a Smoke Alarm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf