Author Topic: Damp appartment over winter  (Read 5156 times)

Offline kelvinmc

Damp appartment over winter
« on: June 12, 2011, 17:17:04 PM »
We have had our apartment in Calis about 3 years now and were over there in Oct/Nov last year and left the place spotless, never had any problems with damp as the apartment is only 3 or 4 years old.

Our friends were the first over this year last week in May first week in June. When they arrived most of the furniture was covered in like a damp mould the bedding was much the same. Of course they sorted it out and enjoyed their 2 weeks holiday but it left us feeling embarrassed.

We coming over this week so can look ourselves but may not see anything because our friends had the apartment thoroughly cleaned

Is this unusual, as this has not happened to us before when we have been out at the beginning of the season in the previous 2 years? Was this a colder winter in Calis? and is there anything that can be done to prevent this in the future?

Offline Carpete

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 17:32:18 PM »
This happened to me in 2009. I came over in early May, house was ok, got jobs done, cleaned, spent a pleasant week "opening up shop". Came back 4 weeks later and everywhere was covered in circular moulds,  just like someone had used a round paint brush with black dust on it and dabbed it over the furniture, especially the backs, under the bed, everywhere, everything smelt musty. I spent a hectic week washing and wiping down everything in the entire house! I could not believe what had happened in 4 weeks. Apparently there had been a storm when I left followed by a heat wave. I have very efficient double glazing and it was a combination of all this being sealed in apparently. All hail ventilation! Incidentally the air con units can be set to dehumidify if you are unlucky enough to have this problem again.
Carol

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 17:57:54 PM »
Yes I was going to say something similar to Carpete. Changes from extremely wet to extremely hot seem to cause most problems rather than cold. Most houses leave a little bathroom window or similar open to have a little ventilation - you can get a little metalwork grill added to prevent it from being a security risk. Also check your windows, some have the facility to have a little open vent in them.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 18:53:11 PM »
We have had similar problems though not on the other two postings scale. I have taken clothes out of the wardrobe and they have had  mould on them and some of my shoes and also stuff in the bedside drawers, when I pack up on my last day I try to remember to open the bedside drawers and wardrobe doors and leave them open just a bit.  :)

Offline kelvinmc

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 19:14:59 PM »
Thanks that sounds like the key - ventilation

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 19:20:10 PM »
We had this same problem one year and it was the ventilation. We now keep a small window open.

Offline quackers

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
Also leave all internal doors open so air can circulate round the villa/apartment. Seems last thing people do before they leave is have a shower and then close all the internal doors.In this hot climate this causesa an internal humid atmosphere, good breeding ground for mould.

Offline Carpete

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 16:47:26 PM »
Agree with all the above. When we left in Sept. 2010 we also pulled all the furniture a few inches away from the walls where possible, opened all drawers and cupboards a few inches and left 2 secured loo windows on a safety catch. Thankfully, this year "no problem!".

Offline gyr

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 13:29:50 PM »
How about a solar powered de-humidifier. I'd love to know how well these work if anybody has any experience of them.

http://www.dampfreehomes.com/default.asp

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 20:24:36 PM »
Today in Asda I bought these containers (hubby found them a while back in the car aisle) they are plastic and sealed with all these white round things in them sat on a layer of plastic, they are £1 each and they say dehumidifier on the container we have one on our wardrobe in Uk and gradually the white thingeys are going and the container is filling with water, so it must be working, I have bought three today to take to Turkey with me on my next trip.If anyone wants more details I will try to explain them a bit better you cant go wrong at £1 each if they only help a bit:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf