Author Topic: Foodstuffs - Available? If so at what cost?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Julesp

Foodstuffs - Available? If so at what cost?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 22:52:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Liz 101

quote:
Originally posted by Julesp

a jar of Colmans here is around 10tl

More like 20tl  :o

Sorry you are probably right Its a few years since I looked for the stuff I have the powdered stuff and actually I quite like the Turkish Mustard anyway

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 00:00:36 AM »
I slipped a 530gm jar of Sharwoods Mango chutney into the trolley at Tespo the other day. I paid 20TL for it  :o
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 00:02:27 AM by nichola »

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 06:52:48 AM »

Mark, Everything on your list is available in the Fethiye area, most are a lot more expensive than the UK (Nicola, Sharwoods mango chutney is 10tl in the pork shop). If you do really want them, it is still cheaper than flying back to the UK to buy. There are a lot more "British" items becoming available, latest one I have found is Idris Fiery ginger beer, very refreshing. Cheeses, there are a few reasonable substitutes, but nothing exactly like cheddar.

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:08:24 AM »
Supercabby. All the things you are thinking you are going to miss, most will be soon forgotten. Think of all the Turkish flavours and  foods cheap salads and fruit and veg,things you will eat more of here. We found trying to eat british is expensive and found the following link so so useful. http://english.turkishcookbook.com/ .Ok we bring Marmite and a coupe of cereals, everything else we have found great replacements. There are some good chocolate and dozens of cheeses, not a good chedder though.  We satisfy our odd cravings with an English breakfast 5/7 TL at most restuarants yes most are good. Dont eat fish and chips much in Uk but the crave comes now and again here, you will soon find a place that can do F & C better than you could imagine 10TL. Soup and a Lamacun cay thrown in 14 TL for two and so it goes. None of the things we used to bring taste the same here,HP on home made Kofta chips and salad Yuk!!
Just another way to look at what you think you might miss. Having seen your enthusiasm on the forum you will have no problems.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 07:10:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Following on from Fastladys topic about what domestic items do members regret leaving behind I was wondering what foodstuffs I might miss out on, or not, as the case maybe?

I am aware of the lack of decent Mature Cheddar Cheese, Cadburys Chocolate, Baileys, Pork Sausages & Bacon, the Cheese would be the thing from that list I would really miss!

Having had a good clear out of my dry food cupboard today I noted the following foods I would prefer not to go without:

Marmite

Crunchy Peanut Butter

Branston Pickle

Colmans Mustard

HP Brown Sauce

Sharwoods Mango Chutney

Are they available in Fethiye? Or shall I bring enough to keep me going for 6 months or so?

& can anyone add to the list of foods they really crave but can't get locally please incase I missed something obvious!

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

branston pickle, sharwoods mango chutney, and h p sauce all available from the mini market by the taxi rank in Calis Mark. cheaper than the pork shop too, 530g mango chutney 10,lira. :)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
Thank you all (again) & Ovacik2 I hear you, already enjoyed many fresh salads etc. but sometimes one has to indulge with a bit of Branston with ones cold meat salad!

Have packed everything on my "dry" list & when it's gone it's gone so I'll be forced to find some substitutes, another fun part in making the move.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1

(Nicola, Sharwoods mango chutney is 10tl in the pork shop).

OMG  :o don't tell Dogan  8)

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
Supercabby.

You are not wrong if not that then somthing else. Good luck with the move.

"but sometimes one has to indulge with a bit of Branston with ones cold meat salad!"

Offline mavigoz

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »
mmmm and what about horseradish sauce? love it with my beef.......

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
the horseradish will be mmmm Mandy, its the beef out here thats hard to find, unless you want to pay a fortune for it. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf