Author Topic: One Way Ticket now Purchased  (Read 8404 times)

Offline scot

• Ayr, Scotland, UK
One Way Ticket now Purchased
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 16:44:11 PM »
All the best George and that is a good idea you have about the visitors box lol.

Bruce

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 16:58:17 PM »
We came in February with 20kgs each and no where to live. This time last year I was in meltdown panicking about it all!
In hindsight I wish Id brought less clothes, as there are so many car boots, table top sales, charity shops etc that theyre so easy to replace.
I wish Id brought more personal bits and pieces instead and some basic kitchen things like scales, cake tins etc which are dearer here.
Some airlines let you bring your laptop as extra hand luggage, worth checking.You shouldnt have any problem with the electrical items, they only see to care about items that receive info, like tv's.
The visitor box is a great idea, we've gradually had a few bits brought over by family and it is nice having a few bits to make it feel homely.
The whole experience did show me though how little you really need to get by, and all the worrying just wasnt warranted.

Good luck! Relax and just look forward to it x

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 21:22:27 PM »
I had a visitors box but the people who swore they would visit laods haven't been - the end result is 2 years on I'm fed up iwth having stuff stored in other peoples attics as well as a small storage unit - I have parcelled some of it up and posted it to myself - a tea chest size parcel weighing 19kgs with Parcel2Go is just £39.00 plus insurance.  Very useful for sending extra clothes or bedding.  which byt he way UK bedding is much better than the turkish :-)  Do wear a winter coat over and bring waterproof boots - when it rains it rains - if you are bringing summer clothes make sure they are cotton or linen - anything else will be too hot and in my case I dress more coservatively now that I live here all the time so the frocks I used to wear on holiday that I packed and shipped have never been worn. My DVD player came in my hand luggage with my laptop - not a problem.  I've snet myself all sorts of smaller test parcels using different methods and they have all arrived safely.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
The tea chest parcel idea sounds brilliant, some questions please :

What do you pack your stuff in to make sure it arrives in good condition?

Do you post it to your address in Calis or yo a PO box number?

Is there any problem with customs?

How long does the parcel take to arrive?

At £39 for 19kg, it sounds a much cheaper way than paying for excess luggage on the plane.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
I have moved some fragile items over & bubblewrapped everything, put the package into a fairly strong box & filled the voids with polystyrene chippings. Mostly this stuff came over in my hold luggage & nothing was broken on arrival

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 15:31:37 PM »
There are limits on the value of items - it used to be under £150 but believe it is now £100 - they usually increase it for a 3 week window around Bayram and also Christmas to allow people to send gifts.   I usually declare mine at £75. I haven't sent anything fragile but have sent household items, clothes, shoes, bags and personal paperwork - the odd tin of tuna may have found it's way in.  U usually wrap the more fragile stuff in clothes and place inside another bag.  I psot to my address in Calis.  I've not had a problem with customs - but send them with good intervals in between.  Parcels by Royal Mail take between 7 and 21 days - no reasons why some take longer - with Parcel2Go between a week and 2 weeks.  It seems to be the same price up to 25kgs.  

Offline yasemin3

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 16:28:15 PM »
I think it's sometimes hard to choose what to bring, but I know from past experience as others have said that you don't need all the things you think you do. Some decent books will be my priority. :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 17:20:44 PM »
Yasemin animal aid, 3 c' s, embrace & the fig shop have hundred of books between them, no need to bring any.
We posted ourselves 22kg for £42 with parcels to go. They collected it in the uk from our house on the Wednesday, by Monday it was here.

Offline yasemin3

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 21:17:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kayakebab

Yasemin animal aid, 3 c' s, embrace & the fig shop have hundred of books between them, no need to bring any.
We posted ourselves 22kg for £42 with parcels to go. They collected it in the uk from our house on the Wednesday, by Monday it was here.

Thank you, good to know. There's nothing worse than not having a good book. Parcels to go also sounds good, not the first time this has been said. Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf