Author Topic: house break- ins  (Read 9084 times)

Offline hoops man

house break- ins
« on: December 26, 2011, 20:25:41 PM »
Just a little note to say my partners Mother and Father emigrated to Turkey on monday and came to my house in Fethiye for Christmas eve and Christmas day. When they were here their house was broken into. They are 69 years old and did an amazing job finalising their move from the uk. it was exausting. Anyway all their valuables were stolen and it ruined what was meant to be a special time not just because it was christmas but because 2 people decided Turkey was were they wanted to spend their later years. Anyway i wont go into detail too much but this happens all the time and just a warning to all the x pats who advertise they are going on holiday christmas and new year dont do it. These people know half of Calis are in Antalya this Christmas so please please please take precaustions. I have many friends who have told the world and their friends they have a cheap deal in Antalya and away over the festive period. id say , cause iv been living here 11 years , be very careful cause these people are not stupid. When i was in the police station a dutch couple came in who were also burgled. So what im saying when we are all getting merry please remember security. Have a great christmas and new year everyone and please as we say in bonnie Scotland, dont let the ******* grind you down. And finally the police were fantastic.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
house break- ins
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 20:33:31 PM »
So sorry for your partners parents plight hoops man. Brenda's and my thoughts are with you.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 20:49:26 PM by Highlander »

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
house break- ins
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 20:57:53 PM »
A really sad story at any time but more especially at this time of year. Hope they can put this behind them and enjoy their new life.

Offline Jim Fraser

house break- ins
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 20:58:32 PM »
A horrible thing to happen at any time, but to have it happen so soon after moving and also on such a memorable date is really bad.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
house break- ins
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 21:18:10 PM »
Just goes to prove there are "sh*ts" everywhere waiting to pounce.
Hope your in-laws get over it without any regrets about their move.

And good advice - too many of us who work hard for what we have - drop our guard as we don't expect that scumbags like this are just waiting for their opportunity.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
house break- ins
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 22:10:18 PM »
So sorry to hear this what an awful start to their new life in Turkey, on the other hand you sound like you are all trying to be postive about this dreadful experience.Thanks for the warning and hope your in laws are doing ok.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
house break- ins
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 00:04:39 AM »
Also very disappointed for your partner's parents Ronnie - there's never a good time to be burgled of course but I think it is particularly galling when it happens a few days after arrival somewhere - I have seen this a number of times with people moving over, and people who just arrived for their holiday. It is one thing I dearly wish could be eradicated from the area but it is the same everywhere sadly. I absolutely agree with you, traditionally it has been put down to lucky chancers but I have long said that there is also a well organised element in all this too.

This is also a topic that we were discussing yesterday - not about Calis but about modern times - it wasn't too many years ago that you wouldn't even tell the taxi driver who took you to the station where you were going or how long for. Now we not only tell the World our plans, but instantly post photos onto Facebook of ourselves holding up a pina colada, confirming that all our family are with us 2000 miles away and Facebook kindly stamps and confirms the location, just to be sure.

I'm as guilty as anyone, but as Ronnie says, be careful - with your information and be aware that you do need to take security very seriously - especially when people associate new arrivals with cash, credit cards and mobile phones...

Offline hubblebubbles

house break- ins
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:11:22 AM »
What a  dreadful thing to happen to them even more so as they are just starting a new life here. I hope they can overcome the bad feelings this must have left them with and not let it taint their view of Turkey too much. Good luck in the future for their retirement plans.

Offline The Crinklies

house break- ins
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
So sorry to read this and a nasty shock for your partners parents.
Moving here is such a major decision and we hope that they will be able to overcome the disappointment etc., that they must be feeling and enjoy their new life here. Our Best Wishes to them.

Tony & Sue

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
house break- ins
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:34 AM »
Had a break in Catalarik ago 4 days ago and its mainly turkish up here ,thats the second in 8 years i think .[:(!]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf