Author Topic: Crime in Calis  (Read 4181 times)

Offline snowdrops

Crime in Calis
« on: January 24, 2012, 13:14:21 PM »
My partner and I are just on the cusp of buying a property in Calis, it's one of those major decisions we are having difficulty making.  We know we love the area and there are 2 properties we have in mind, one on a small complex of 6 in Fethiye, one on a larger complex with 2 pools, can't remember what it's called but is 15 mins from Calis beach with dolmus stop outside.  

Anyhoo, one of the things putting us off is the amount of posts regarding break-ins in both Calis and Fethiye.  We wld only be able to use the place for 6 weeks per year with a view to increasing this as time goes on.  We may think about renting out to friends.  Worried now that we may be very likely to experience or have a break-in.  In reality, from your experience, what are the overall crime rates like with you there ?  Thanks  :)

Offline Steve A

Crime in Calis
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 14:22:14 PM »
Had ours for 6 yrs no problems.I think what you need to remember is that crime is an international problem and sites like CBF sometimnes examine the minutae of everyday events.Yes there have been some burglaries and other crimes over trhe years but not as many as in the UK.With your holiday home you need to take the same precautions you would at home and then a few extra because you are not there.
I would suggest good door and window locks,grilles on windows,double glazing,alarm system or dummy box under eaves,outside light with a random timer,a safe for valuables,dont leave valuable on displat,leave a light on when you go out,a reputable management company or good friend to do regular visits and most importantly dont advertise to all and sundry when the property will be empty.Contrary to popular belief most burglars do not sit and watch a particular property for hours,they are opportunists who will choose the property without security measures over those with any day as the last thing they want is to get caught.

Offline Honey Bee

Crime in Calis
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 19:32:07 PM »
Hi,

We have had our villa for two years with no issues. Just be careful and take advice from CBF members who have years of experience.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Crime in Calis
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 19:51:36 PM »
My honest opinion: If you are only going to use it for 6 weeks a year then don't buy, renting makes much more sense until you are positive you're making the right decision & are able to enjoy it for a much longer time-scale.

Crime here is minuscule compared to lots of other regions of the world, I know of female friends who walk around late at night on their own with no fear here, something they just wouldn't do in the UK. Burglary is here of course but again on a much lesser scale than you are probably fearing, remember forums like CBF often focus when things go wrong as members need help, not often anyone pops up with a post saying everything in life is rosy!

Offline Eric

Crime in Calis
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 19:59:17 PM »
I would ask you, how many burglaries take place where you live now per month or per year?  Don't know?  Probably because no one advertises that on a chat forum where you live, if there is one.  The reason you know about them here is becauase it is an ex-pat area and has a chat forum.  Crime here is no worse than the UK, or even better if you believe the Police annual stats here.  Don't worry yourself about it.  If you take the same precautions that you would in the UK you will be fine.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 20:02:19 PM »
Also in the UK people rarely turn up to a previously unoccupied house, open all the windows, chuck down their wallets and passports then go jump in the pool.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 20:06:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

I know of female friends who walk around late at night on their own with no fear here

Not something that is recommended surely.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 20:07:51 PM »
You haven't seen them

Offline LeeGlo

Crime in Calis
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 20:08:02 PM »
Everything in life is rosy !!!  ;-)

Well almost ..... if it wasn't for ..... and ....

To be serious now, I wouldn't buy for the sake of 6 weeks holiday a year. Even if you rent to friends you won't get much of a return on your investment and the property will be empty for long periods - it's easier to go in self catering accommodation or hotels quite cheaply here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 20:12:47 PM by LeeGlo »

Offline Julesp

Crime in Calis
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 20:55:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

I know of female friends who walk around late at night on their own with no fear here

Not something that is recommended surely.

I found out to my cost, twice, when I first moved here over 6 years ago It is definately not recommended, especially, it seems at the start of the season when the new wave of waiters and seasonal workers arrive from other parts of Turkey to work. Luckily I was just grabbed and the men involved ran off very quickly, especially the second time when I had my 2 dogs with me:D
That said I do still feel safer than I do in the Uk but dont wander around any unlit or remote places on my own nowdays
Never had any problems with theft personally but again not long after I moved here, 4 of the 6 apartments in my block were burgled during the one night, I think my dogs barking put them off my place and the other flat was empty

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf