Author Topic: Crime in Calis  (Read 4180 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Crime in Calis
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 21:00:33 PM »
It's not a guarantee but taking the right security precautions helps, but best of all is to adopt the same attitude to your security as you do in the UK.  As Scunner has indicated, a number of people get caught out out by simply doing things that they would not dream of doing if they were back in the UK.

Offline buddy

Crime in Calis
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
We have had our apartment in Calis for four years now and never had any trouble (touch wood). Having said that, we did have bars fitted to the windoes and doors, and fitted an alarm system. So we are encouraging any would be burglers to go for an easier target.

Offline hoops man

Crime in Calis
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
interesting posts. A few things that seem to spring to mind. iv lived in calis/Fethiye for now 12 years and would never advise anyone to walk around especially females at night. Calis and Fethiye are poorly lit and there have been loads of attacks on people Tourists and locals alike. im sorry but it looks like some people are trying to make calis sound like a very safe haven liking it to areas in uk. if you live in the uk you have no idea what goes on unless its through a forum or hearsay. you need to live it. many people i know have been attacked and one thing that need s to be pointed out is the amount of burglaries that happened this year or last sorry all happened in a very small area. The 4 resorts we live in are a haven for this and it happens. Ofcoarse as mentioned we must all take precausions and security grills alarms are a must . i repeat a must. i bet most people who post on this forum know someone who was burgled so back to the original post. Yes you do have to worry about crime in this area and dont let people sitting in the uk who have no idea tell you otherwise. sorry for being blunt but someone needs to. Highlander was correct that nightime its not recommended to walk out on your own and a few other good comments but the truth needs to be told. That aside yes there are always bad things posted and not enough good and there is loads of good reasons to live in Turkey. i remember years ago a post of positive things about Turkey,maybe we need a reminder!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
I have no desire to be a scaremongerer but can I respectfully suggest that people type attacks into the search engine and go to page 3 to read about attacks on ladies in Calis.

Brenda used to visit Calis on her own quite often from 2000 onwards when I suspect the crime rate was lower than now and 99.9% of the time would ask someone from the restaurant or bar she was in to take her home.

Frankly, it is irresponsible to suggest that it is perfectly safe for ladies to be walking about Calis at night on there own.

Offline Old Daffodil

Crime in Calis
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 13:52:57 PM »
We holidayed in Ovacik and lived there for a few years and seven of our neighbours who were residents were burgled,some more than once. In one property the safe was ripped out of the concrete floor. They were mostly detatched houses not on complexes.

Fortunately we were never burgled but we did have all the locks changed,a burglar alarm fitted and  owned two dogs,one of which lived in a kennel and was extremely large.We never had the ironwork fitted as that can be yanked out if a burglar is really determined and I hated the feeling of being imprisoned it gives.

I sometimes wondered how the burglars decided which properties to rob.There must have been someone watching peoples movements all the time to be able to enter the houses when they were out.Sometimes the robberies were when the owners were at a quiz night or Turkish lesson and only gone from the house for a couple of hours.  

Sorry if this sounds negative but it is what happened whilst we were living there.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 22:32:56 PM by Daffodil »

Offline snowdrops

Crime in Calis
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 14:33:20 PM »
Thank you very much for you comments, all are appreciated.  It is easy to read a few topics and worry overly I think, so yep, have had some perspective on that now.  Re not worth owning a holiday home, I'm sure quite a few others own one, not just all ex-pats.  We're looking to spending a lot more time there as employment and ages progress, however, worry that by then prices will have gone up a fair bit and then won't be able to afford it.  I know that Calis is supposed to be getting more and more popular.   We are giving it great thought for those reasons.

Shame working is so hard in Turkey, otherwise we'd consider a straight move.  Again thanks for your comments.  :)  

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Crime in Calis
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 16:29:27 PM »
We bought a Villa in 2005 and only have time for holidays at the moment although our family use it we don't rent out and we don't feel it's a waste of money as we love our time in Calis and it's so much nicer to have your own place than to rent, and one day we hope to spend much longer periods of time there.
We have the usual security measures as we have in the U.K. I think you have to remember as Scunner says some people go on holiday and forget security.
One thing I would say is, if you can afford it buy a Villa as sometimes, people who buy on complexes have problems with their very close neighbours. I have read this quite a few times on the forum. Most regular problem is getting everyone together to pay for services.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 22:37:08 PM »
To be fair Jacqui not all complexes have problems.  I'm quite sure they are in the minority to be honest as most now have a committee set up and things are dealt with quickly and efficiently.  
It's the same old story of only hearing the negatives.  No one posts about complexes which run smoothly.
On Violet we've had no problems what so ever with non payment and such like. Maybe we've just been lucky, who knows?
I'd also say that if your buying for holidays and not to live there full time then a complex is a better bet as there are more people around, going about their business and of course keeping a close eye on things.  
We have 24 hour, 365 day security on our site.  We do pay more in fees than a lot of others on here but we have total piece of mind at all times.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 22:46:19 PM »
Have had the pleasure of being invited to Anne and Billy's (and of course kenkay's) complex I can vouch for what Anne says. It's lovely and even although we were there for a relatively short time it was clear there was a stong sense of community amongst the residents. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 22:48:56 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Crime in Calis
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 22:57:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anne

We have 24 hour, 365 day security on our site.

quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

we were there for a relatively short time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf