Author Topic: Damp proofing/tanking walls  (Read 3283 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Damp proofing/tanking walls
« on: February 03, 2012, 22:33:58 PM »
Is there anyone who could give advice on treating damp walls that have no damp course. What form of tanking is available, if any, in Turkey.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 22:38:14 PM »
Hi Hazel, if you try a search on this forum you should find plenty of info on this

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 14:54:26 PM »
Well I just did a search, using the above words, and only came up with this topic!

After rumaging around a bit the only other topic, but not very informative is this one;

{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}37883&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=Damp,proofing
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 14:58:37 PM by Eric »

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 16:32:12 PM »
depends on the type of damp if its just seeping in through the walls when it rains this is normally down to the waterproofing additive used when painting or the rendering failing this is normal wear and tear. If this is the case you can do one of three things Re-paint,re-render with the additive in or you can go to the little hardware store near the Sunday market and buy a varnish like product and paint directly on to the walls, if you ask one of the guys working there they will point you straight to it.
be-aware though it can become quite expensive as a 5 liter tin does not go very far also it is very strong and can eat through a plastic container over a period of time (if you leave it over night to use again the next day) I strongly advise to use rubber gloves and goggles and only use in a well ventilated area, but from the reports from my agent we have had no damp coming through the affected walls.
fortunately we have had no other types of damp so can't comment on other methods hope this was of help  :) forgot to mention this is for external use only
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 16:33:38 PM by trainer »

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 16:43:05 PM »
Thankyou for your replies. I did search the forum but everyone seemed to think that nothing was very effective that could be applied in Turkey. As I have seen damp cellars successfully tanked in UK I thought there must be some way this could be done in Turkey. My house in Turkey seems to sit in its own little constant pond even in the summer I am surrounded by my own small moat.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 18:19:11 PM »
The most important points are that if you have it you will always have it to a degree so just adopt a regular repainting/maintenance programme - secondly that there is no point in trying to seal it in because hell hath no fury like water retained, and finally, the key to minimising it is not special paints or chemicals, or even membranes - it is good ventilation.

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 20:53:38 PM »
if you have your own small moat maybe you might be better considering drainage options?
I know you can get proper tanking as a german system was used for the basement when building here in Dalyan, but as Scunner says - if the walls are wet the last thing you want to do is seal it in.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 13:54:43 PM »
French drain externally and a dehumidifier internally.
There's plenty of info on the internet regarding types of French drains
We use a dehumidifier through the winter months while the apartment is empty we open all internal doors and cupboards  and our agent will come in once a week or so switch it on and leave it (timed for 8 hours) when she goes back the next week it can have collected up to 2 litres of water
We used it for the first time last winter and it seems to have worked, our agent loves it because she doesn't have to open the windows and keep going back to close them
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 13:55:36 PM by trainer »

Offline milliemars

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 17:48:02 PM »
Think the little hardware shop near the sunday market is now closed,or has been the last couple of times we have been past there...

Offline amca

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 16:22:01 PM »
Open the other day when I walked by.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf