Author Topic: Damp proofing/tanking walls  (Read 3284 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Damp proofing/tanking walls
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 23:06:35 PM »
Thanks Trainer, Like the idea of a french drain around the whole of my property. But would have to get permission as it would be public land.    
quote:
Originally posted by trainer

French drain externally and a dehumidifier internally.
There's plenty of info on the internet regarding types of French drains
We use a dehumidifier through the winter months while the apartment is empty we open all internal doors and cupboards  and our agent will come in once a week or so switch it on and leave it (timed for 8 hours) when she goes back the next week it can have collected up to 2 litres of water
We used it for the first time last winter and it seems to have worked, our agent loves it because she doesn't have to open the windows and keep going back to close them

Offline Julesp

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 23:35:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by milliemars

Think the little hardware shop near the sunday market is now closed,or has been the last couple of times we have been past there...

Its open all week Closed Sundays xx Stocks lots of stuff and very helpfull

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Again it depends on the type of damp you have, but we think, as do our neighbours who did them same, that our damp problem was helped by installing guttering.  We installed the metal continuous type, with plastic downpipes.  It costs us, I think, just under £200.

We also used the 'waterproofing' liquid described above by Trainer, on exposed wall that is made up of stone and mortar ccladding, and again that helped.  A few quid for the gear, and a couplke of hours painting it on.

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 20:00:37 PM »
I have large gutters and down pipes that pipe the water completely of my property. The walls inside have been painted with special damp proofing. The garden has been raised to insure the water runs of. When I first bought the property 10 years ago there was no water problem but now that all the surrounding roads have been tarmaced and all the surrounding fields have now been built on, there seems nowhere for the water to go. My property is the lowest in the road and although there is a small stream the other side of the road the road's camber is in the wrong direction i.e. into my property. Also the sewer pipes don't reach me and all the houses around me have septic tanks. I have been to the council to ask for a drain in the road but no action was taken. Even in August the water didn't dry up and my house seemed to be sitting in a pond.

Offline milliemars

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Glad to hear the shop is open because we always used it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf