Author Topic: new boat yard  (Read 13306 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 15:26:38 PM »
I expect it will take some time to get permissions through etc but at least it's some light at the end of what has been a very long tunnel. Surely it must be good for the Koca Calis area in general and if the water area is as large as it looks on the map it will probably help with the flooding problems as the canal will run into it.

Here's hoping it gets passed and they start to build it next year.

Offline maximumtom

new boat yard
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 19:26:26 PM »
At present there are two water courses going into the sea at the same point; the picture shows only one.  Are they combining the two streams ? Does anyone know how they are planning to bridge the stream ? At present there are two flat bridges which prevent any entry from the sea.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
All in planning stage but I guess any bridge will have to be high or an opening/swing type bridge. Shouldn't pose too many problems.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
new boat yard
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
Crikey if that maps to scale stoop it's massive, the widening of the canal and the hard standing either side looks massive what provison has been made for roads etc. anyone know when this development is going ahead.thanks for all the info guys.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 13:19:24 PM »
It does look massive. I hope it is to scale but I have no idea. Hopefully the hard standing will act as a flood overflow as well. We can hope.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
new boat yard
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
had a good look around last week I can see no action taking place and can't see how they intend to widen the small stream to allow the launching etc of the mega sized gullets without taking away large chunk of the small beach area and dredgeing much deeper chanel.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
It's a shame if parts of that beach have to go but I guess they call it progress! The channel/canal will have to be widened substantially and also deepened I guess - otherwise they won't get the big boats up.

Our worry is what will happen with regards to the flooding. Will it make it better or worse? Obviously a bigger/deeper canal will take some of the excess water but what will happen when the tide is high?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
new boat yard
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 21:55:03 PM »
after they closed the beach front road couple of years ago to install drainage pipes and ditch now reopened it to my mind has failed in it's main purpose in life ie drain the swamp / prevent floods to my mind what it needs is a positive pumping out 365 24/7 they could use smallish wind turbines to pump out, go the whole hog and level the area as it seems to me all the improvements ie dumping lorry loads of rocks here and there will only raise the water table which will adversely effect all property below that level.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Good points c1 - we've been advocating a pumping station for a few years but nobody at the council has bothered to reply to emails or do anything. As for the dumping - it has to stop really otherwise the work done will be in vain.

I like the wind turbine option.

Offline Diverbaz 1

new boat yard
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »

I would say the boatyard hard standings will make matters worse, as the rain that falls on them will run off into already inadequate canals at a faster rate than if it falls into the marsh area. A pumping station is really the only solution, because of the land/sea levels do not allow a fast enough run off when we have the heavy rains.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf