Author Topic: new boat yard  (Read 13912 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
Good points Baz but I think they intend to make the canal much deeper and wider so it should hold a lot more water. I can only imagine how massive the water area is going to be if the map is anywhere near to scale.

Only time will tell but either way I think a pumping station is required and some sort of flood barrier on the deeper canal to stop the high tides from flooding the land.

I doubt we will get either!

Offline Diverbaz 1

new boat yard
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

So they could try digging a bigger hole to bury the water in then Stoop:D:D ;)

It's the difference in levels from the complexes to the sea that means the water cannot escape quick enough. The new channel across the beach didn't do any thing to change the flooding. All the new boat yard will do is bring the sea closer.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
OK - maybe deeper won't make any difference but surely making a canal twice as wide will allow it to hold twice the water and make a difference. Or are you saying if they filled in the existing one it wouldn't make any difference to the distribution f the water?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
new boat yard
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
I think the land ( swamp) is so close in level to sea level that unless they pump out and/or have lock gates on the chanel (in our dreams) like frasier said "we are all doomed". the dutch are world experts on this sort of problem and they build dams and canals, we may end up with the authorities not giving a dam instead.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
new boat yard
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 13:54:10 PM »
Lock gates are a must if anything is going to improve. Most of the bad flooding at Saglik is caused when the canal overflows after really bad weather (I guess it's water coming down from the higher ground/mountains which is just too much for the canal to hold) If there is a much wider canal further down stream and some sort of flood area (like they have in Holland)then it could help. I'm not sure but I think the area on the map where they are going to build the boat yard does not flood that bad at the moment. It's certainly a much drier area than the bits that flood bad in the winter. So maybe they intend to use that area to take more of the flood water. I guess we won't know until we see the final result.

One of the other things with Saglik was that before the apartments were built at the back of our place we pumped the water into a lake that they filled in and built on. It did the trick almost every year (unless the pump packed in). That apartment block, being built on raised land (which has sunk a lot in all honesty), now acts as a dam wall AND they made it much worse by filling in the lake and displacing the water.

You never know - they might have employed a Dutch master engineer to oversee the project - something tell me his name will be Mehmet though and he's probably a taxi driver in his real job ( no offence to any Mehmet's or taxi drivers - or taxi drivers called Mehmet - anywhere intended)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 13:55:05 PM by stoop »

Offline TyTannick

Re: new boat yard
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »
I have been talking to some of the boatbuilders at Karagozler and they say that only the members of the cooperative will be moving to Koca Calis. I don't know how many of the builders that is, but certainly not all of them. They also told me that the date that they have been given to vacate their present location is 2014. The area at Karagozler will be cleaned up and is earmarked for tourism.

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 21:39:51 PM »
Just returned from ciftlik after 2months the service road to the boat yard is now completed and tarmaced the boat show rooms now have some lovely boats on display including a couple of small crusiers.On that new road there is a tyre repair place so if anyone needs bike,scooter,services or punchers done then its quite handy for us locals.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 16:09:25 PM »
Cheers for that info!

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 16:23:01 PM »
I have been talking to some of the boatbuilders at Karagozler and they say that only the members of the cooperative will be moving to Koca Calis. I don't know how many of the builders that is, but certainly not all of them. They also told me that the date that they have been given to vacate their present location is 2014. The area at Karagozler will be cleaned up and is earmarked for tourism.
Welcome back John. Newbie indeed!!!

Offline bob 1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 19:26:32 PM »
the old boat yard had an old worlde charm to it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf