Author Topic: Car insurance for driving to and in Turkey.  (Read 5439 times)

Offline happy_flyer

Car insurance for driving to and in Turkey.
« on: March 07, 2012, 22:01:41 PM »
has anyone else had trouble getting car insurance for driving in Turkey.

My uk insurance comes with 90 days eu cover but they wont cover Turkey at all,i've tried expat and after filling i a huge quoting form it then said i didnt have the correct critiaria for it.

Has anyone got thier car covered to drive in Turkey and which company so i could try and get a quote.
Thanks in advance.

Alan.

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 00:08:10 AM »
Hi we drove over last year and our car is insured with the AA
However, they would not allow us to drive through Serbia, on the Danube car ferry we met a couple who had insured with Sainsburys (food market) and they had insurance for Serbia but not sure if it covered Turkey.
We had fully comp as far as Turkey and only third party in Turkey

had breakdown with the AA to as far as Turkey but not Turkey itself.  We printed off a list of Toyota garages in the main towns that we passed through incase we had any problems.

Good Luck - our car insurance is due for renewal in July and hubby wants to drive over again so hopefully we can get insurance with the AA
Carol

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »
Every company seems to have a diffrent set of countries they will not cover - i did a fair amount of searching before coming over and finally went for direct line - they cover Turkey but not Serbia, and they only cover for 3 months. They do cover fully comp at an extra (extreme) cost, but obviously the price depend on the vehicle as well as the drivers details, i took a Transit van which was cheap to insure in UK but more expensive for foreign travel than my car would have been.

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 15:08:33 PM »
You have to buy insurance at the Turkish border when you enter if your UK company does not provide cover.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 18:36:54 PM »
The easiest method, although not necessarily the cheapest, is to get Green Card cover from your UK insurer for Europe and then purchase extra cover at the Turkish border.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 18:37:39 PM by KKOB »

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 22:17:01 PM »
What exactly is the form for doing this at the border? Is there just a kiosk to get it done or do i have to go somewhere specific?
Do you get a choice of what cover you can get or do you just have to take what is offered.
Is there just one company that does this ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
It's all done by the Touring and Automobile Club of Turkey (TTOK).It's the equivalent of the AA in the UK. They have offices at all major borders and you will be directed to them by the border officials. The "menu" is limited and you buy the cover for a particular time.

http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/green_card.asp
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:42:58 AM by KKOB »

Offline Peter Bryant

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
We drove over last year got green card for Turkey from Saga , no charge ,but we were a policy holder for our car at the time.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 21:40:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice we will have to do a bit more research and go for it i think .

Offline Alan Keating

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
If you get all the insurance cover, do not expect it to be the last. We had full cover, but on return entry into Serbia, they rejected the insurance for coming in. To say this was robbery, is being too correct, so beware of "Outlaws" and paying: :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf