Author Topic: Gardening help please  (Read 3047 times)

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
Gardening help please
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »
Please could I pick your brains for some gardening help.

I would like to obtain some privacy on our terrace this year. I would like to plant into pots/tubs a few plants that will give a reasonable height, but also survive being in a pot throughout the summer. Our terrace does not remain in full sun all day.

I read that citrus plants quite like to be pot bound, so thought that may be a good start. I have tried to get the ones in the photo without luck, unless I need to buy it and then grow and prune accordingly. I have tried many garden centres in Calis and Fethiye, does anyone know where I might be able to get them?

If not, any other suggestions for a plant that is happy to be in a pot, but will reach upto 3 ft in height? I could train Jasmine over the wrought iron railings - but not sure if they grow in a pot?

I have already got the pots and am raring to go!

Offline screamlead

Gardening help please
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
All the markets sell citrus trees etc and theres the place opposite Migros in Fethyie and one just down the road too. I have jasmine in a wooden planter out side and its been there about 4 years now - easy to train along balconies with string or wire.

Offline hotlips

Gardening help please
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 13:37:16 PM »
I think I will get a jasmine for one of the pots. Now I'm even wondering if the plant in the picture is a citrus!!

Offline Stan

Gardening help please
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 13:58:26 PM »
I'm surprised Kayakebab hasn't offered any advice , I thought she was the bush expert !  :)

Offline Julesp

Gardening help please
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 21:56:05 PM »
The one in the pot does look like a citrus plant.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Gardening help please
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »
Haha!  bush expert,very funny...
That does look like a citrus tree.
I would recommend going to the plant shop near Migros,  on the same side of the road.
We bought citrus trees there. The young girl there is really sweet and speaks good English and will be able to recommend tall plants for pots.
Her prices are good too.

Be careful and shop around, the one on the other side on the corner further towards Calis had extortionate prices in comparison, quoting 20 tl for cactuses which we later bought for 5tl.
Zakkum  trees for 15tl, again bought for 5 and so on....
We told the young girl and she said her prices are standard, same for everybody and we've been back again since.
crazy the way some places do business!

I'm glad you posted this, was thinking about getting some wood trellis / privacy screen, but now fancy the idea of tall potted trees instead.
let me know what you choose.

Offline hotlips

Gardening help please
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
Kayakebab- Thanks for your input - it's funny I have also used the same shop, but have been told to only see the girl as the other boy there charges more to foreigners!

I went to the shop opposite Migros - they had citrus but not like the one in the photo. Think I will need to buy one and then prune it into shape!

I think I will go for a jasmine at each end and then a citrus in the middle. I guess it will be a 'trial' this year to see what takes off - I'll let you know how I get on!

Offline farmer

Gardening help please
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 19:57:36 PM »
Hotlips.

You can grow Lavender, Rosemary and Sage plants very well in pots out here. Alternating Rosemary and Lavender plants can make a wonderful "Hedge"; they can be trimmed often in the summer both giving you your privacy and supplies for your kitchen!
I have a number of young Rosemary plants ready for transplanting if you would like them. Please PM me.

Offline hotlips

Gardening help please
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by farmer

Hotlips.

You can grow Lavender, Rosemary and Sage plants very well in pots out here. Alternating Rosemary and Lavender plants can make a wonderful �Hedge�; they can be trimmed often in the summer both giving you your privacy and supplies for your kitchen!
I have a number of young Rosemary plants ready for transplanting if you would like them. Please PM me.

Ooh - never thought of that combination at all. Have pm'd you, Many thanks.

Offline farmer

Gardening help please
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 23:12:13 PM »
I replied to the email address shown on your pm. I have heard nothing from you. Since you have not followed up on this thread I must assume you have lost interest.
farmer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf