Author Topic: Moving pool electrics to above ground level?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Moving pool electrics to above ground level?
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »
We have (like many others I suspect) all of our pool electrics and pump below ground in quite a large pool well. Our pool man has been unable to dislodge / remove the pump for the last 2 winters so we have to cover it up to keep it dry as the pool well fills up with water that seeps in through the sides of the well when we get  heavy winter rains. We use a little electric pump to pump out the water - but it relies on someone being here to do it which is not going to be the case anymore as that neighbour is moving.

Has anyone moved their electrics above ground and if so can they recommend anyone that could provide us with a quote?

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Ian, you may find that a "Bilge Pump" as used on a boat may be the answer. Some of these incorporate a float switch which activates the pump when water gets to a certain level.
Mostly 12 or 24v though so will need a transformer. Any chandeler in Fethiye should be able to advise.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
The pumps are below pool level for good reason. You may find that if you move your pump to a higher position it will no longer be "man (or woman)" enough to do the job. Any reputable pool maintenance company will be able to properly advise you on the Hp rating of a suitable pump. We are replacing our "above ground" 1.5hp pump with a 2.5hp pump this season and the cost is around 500TL.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 14:12:28 PM »
As Kaptain krunchie says a 12v submersible sump  pump with either integral or separate automatic float switch could be the answer connected to a 75/80 amp 12 Volt car battery which is charged by a small solar panel such as this from Maplin. They have an integral blocking diode so will not overcharge.I have one on my yacht and it ensures that the 3 batteries on board are kept topped up.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-2.4w-battery-trickle-charger-223251

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 23:31:50 PM »
Any submersible pump will do the job so long as its fitted with a float switch. This will work out much cheaper than moving all the electrics and pump pipework above ground. You could drop it in in the hole at the end of the season then move it out in the spring.
I am sure they will be readily available in Turkey.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Guys thanks very much for your replies - very helpful as usual  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf