Author Topic: Or is it better to recover a Suite???  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Or is it better to recover a Suite???
« on: April 12, 2012, 14:28:09 PM »
Following on from my other post about cleaning a 3 piece suite....
Has anyone successfully had one re-covered?

I remember inquiring about 3 years ago and the man near Sanayi wanted as much as we had paid (1000 TL) to recover it !

Now I didn't even bother asking around after that as I thought it was pointless but maybe I should.

I have also heard that if they are sofa-bed / storage type settee / chairs it can also be difficult to recover so you shouldn't bother.

Any recent experiences gladly received  :)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 14:57:19 PM »
Ian think you are better off having cleaning done bed settee ones hard to do ,the ones i have seen not good they are very hard to do so i was told 50 tl for my 3 like new . ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 15:01:02 PM »
As someone who has had furniture recovered for around 25 years now, including suites.  I would say that unless it's a really expensive suite, it would be better to buy a new one.   I have seen my upholsterer recovering suites from members of the public and there is so much work involved, sometimes the framework needs restortation, sometimes and quite often new liniings and new foam (which must be fire retardent) must be used.  Then you have the upholstery material which must also be fire retardent, then the gimp which is bought by the metre, again expensive.   So this is why it costs so much to have a suite recovered.  It does often cost more to recover a suite than to buy a brand new one. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 15:07:58 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 15:25:58 PM »
Lance - many thanks - reading Jacqui post as well just confirmed what I did actually think but was hoping I might be missing something.

Thank both - for 50 TL - it is worth cleaning first and if you still don't fancy it - sell it for 100 TL and it will look more appealing  :)

Offline busybee

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 20:38:26 PM »
Ian contact Marjo, she has very recently had her suite recovered and think the quote was 600-700TL.  She will be able to tell you if good job done and exact cost.  We have two really good quality comfy sofas which we will have recovered next year.  If its 1000TL it will still be cheaper than paying out for new ones.  Where can you get 2 good sofas for 350 pounds.  ( I am sure someone on here will tell me lol):D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 21:16:46 PM »
Hi Ian. Marjo used the same company as me. Fethiye dosome in Tasyaka, They did a great job. If u dont like the suite you have inherited then it wont help if you have it cleaned. They have hundreds of colours and materials to choose form.. As Bee says between 600 and 700 TL depending on material. Ours was 750Tl including7 large cushions. That was a sofa and 2 chairs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 21:18:59 PM by mercury »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
Anne - was it a suite with storage as when the cushions lift I seem to think it might be more difficult???

It is was with storage I will certainly go and see them.

Thanks as ususal

Ps Your first comment (even if you have it cleaned......if you don't like it now....) made me laugh as we really didn't like it very much but it was very comfy to sit on so being a very careful Lancastrian - I said to Gill "well if we have it cleaned we might like it if it comes up lighter" - which my common sense should say to me "don't be stupid" - but my wallet was over-ruling again)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:30:26 AM by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:32:24 AM »
Busybee - many thanks will contact Marjo via a pm

Yes - you are right - if it is well made and comfy worth spending some money on it.

Ian

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
Hi - just been to send Marjo a pm but there is no message facility set up so if anyone of you seem them could you ask them to let us know if there were happy with the recovering of their suite?

Offline marjo

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
Hi Ian
We were extremely happy with the service & work done by Fethiye Doseme. Our 2 sofas are very large & 'squishy' & we picked a quality fabric so the total cost was 950TL but we feel it was worth it. The sofas were expensive when we bought them 6 years ago & only needed re-covering due to some water damage from our flood. There was nothing close to the same quality in the shops so we opted for the re-cover, we were a little nervous about how it would turn out but are delighted with the end result! We would definitely recommend this company. I am sure they would be happy to advise you on whether they would be able to cover your suite.
Regards
Jo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf